Read Time 3 Minutes
January 11 is National Hot Toddy Day, Birmingham. Celebrate this delicious hot beverage today at these seven Birmingham bars.
What’s in a Hot Toddy?
Most hot toddy experts agree that the spicy beverage originated in the British Isles in the 1700s. Some believe that hot toddies were developed to make the taste of whiskey more palatable, while others think they were designed to help with a cold sickness. Either way, we’re glad–because hot toddies are delicious.
The drink is usually made with honey, lemon, hot water and a spirit of your choice (usually whiskey, brandy or rum). However, some people like theirs with tea and cinnamon as well. It’s really up to the drinker.
1. The Collins Bar
If you look at a menu at The Collins Bar, you won’t find any cocktails. That’s because they tailor make each cocktail to fit a customer’s tastes.
So if you’re looking for a Hot Toddy, The Collins is a great place to start. They offer the classic Hot Toddy, but are open to change it up depending on your preferences.
- Location: 2125 2nd Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: 4PM-12AM Monday-Thursday | 4PM–2AM Friday-Saturday | 6PM–12AM Sunday
- Contact: 205.323.7995 | Facebook | Instagram
2. Queen’s Park
As a classic cocktail bar, the Queen’s Park hot toddy is as close to the original published recipe as their mixologist has been able to find. Since Queen’s Park is passionate about bees and the environment, their hot toddy uses locally sourced honey from right here in Birmingham!
- Location: 112 24th St N #102, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: 4PM–2AM Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday | 4PM-2AM Friday-Saturday | Closed Monday
- Contact: Facebook | Instagram
3. Brennan’s Irish Pub
The hot toddy at Brennan’s Irish Pub is crafted with house made honey simple syrup and Tullamore DEW Irish whiskey (they are an Irish pub, after all!) In addition, they offer a hot toddy made with Barry’s Irish Black Tea.
- Location: 1108 20th St S, Birmingham, AL 35205
- Hours: 11AM–1AM Sunday-Thursday | 11AM–2AM Friday-Saturday
- Contact: 205.777.3089 | Facebook | Instagram
4. Cayo Coco Rum Bar & Restaurant
Cayo Coco offers two variations of the hot toddy. First up is the Rum Toddy, made with double aged Plantation Dark Rum, Fresh Lemon and Black Mission Fig Honey.
Their second variation is the Hot Zombie–a staff favorite made with three unique rums, fresh lime, pineapple, and Ceylon cinnamon. The Hot Zombie is delectable and drinks like a citrusy hot tea.
- Location: 2015 1st Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: 4PM–11PM Monday-Saturday | Closed Sunday
- Contact: 205.290.5115 | Facebook | Instagram
5. Paper Doll
Paper Doll‘s Nor’Easter Toddy uses Bushmills Irish Whiskey, Laird’s Apple Brandy, Black Walnut Bitters and Nor’Easter Syrup. The Nor’Easter Syrup is made in-house with a super-secret recipe!
- Location: 2320 1st Avenue North, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: 4PM–12AM Saturday, Monday-Wednesday | 4PM–2AM Thursday-Friday | Closed Sunday
- Contact: 205.283.6391 | Facebook | Instagram
6. Pilcrow Cocktail Cellar
Follow the small alley between Founder’s Station and The Essential and you will find Pilcrow, a full craft cocktail bar specializing in agave spirits. Instead of honey, Pilcrow sweetens their hot toddy with cardamom and ginger syrup.
- Location: 2015 1st Ave N #1e, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: 4PM–12AM Monday-Thursday | 4PM–2AM Friday-Saturday | Closed Sunday
- Contact: 205.502.7600 | Facebook | Instagram
7. The Louis Bar
- Location: 1821 2nd Ave N Suite 194, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: 11AM–9PM Monday-Wednesday | 11AM–10PM Thursday-Saturday | 12PM–8PM Sunday
- Contact: 205.730.9002