Read Time 3 Minutes
There’s some good energy in Bessemer these days—and with it, new businesses and new life for longtime favorites. What’s hip and happening these days? Read on to find out!
1. Big Business: Amazon’s Bessemer fulfillment center should open sometime in 2020.
It’s the fulfillment center everybody’s been waiting for. Not only will this 14-football-field building house the 1st robotic fulfillment center in Alabama, but it will bring 1500 jobs to a part of town that’s ready to work. Rumor has it that it’ll be open for business by March 2020. We’ll have to wait and see.
- If you’re looking for the $15/hour and up hourly rate jobs, sign up here to get alerts about jobs as they become available.
- If you want to learn more about what’s involved in working at a fulfillment center, check here.
- If you want a salaried position and you’ve got the skills, this is your best bet.
2. Big business: Carvana is also coming to Bessemer.
It’s not every day that a business brings a $40+m project to town, but that’s what Carvana did when they decided to build their new fulfillment center in Bessemer. This project brings a cool 450 jobs with it, with an annual salary averaging $35,000. Sweet.
If you envision a Carvana job in your future, follow them on LinkedIn so you can see when they start posting those Bessemer jobs.
3. Food: The Back Porch serves up homestyle goodness.
The Back Porch is a new restaurant on 1st Avenue, near the Lincoln Theatre, opened in October 2019 by Chef Ron Cook. Look for homestyle breakfast and lunch options and Italian bistro offerings.
- Where: 1924 1st Ave North Bessemer, Al 35020
- Call: 205.760.5053
- Hours: M-F 6:30AM-4PM, Sunday 11AM-4PM. Breakfast M-F 6:30-10AM. Lunch 11AM-4PM.
4. Good Health to be Hail—Holistic Wellness and Raw Vegan Juice Bar Cafe brings wellness to Bessemer.
This holistic wellness company’s been around for just over a year, with a mission to help transition people to a healthier lifestyle. They provide lots of education for raw, whole food, plant-based diets, and offer local and seasonal foods plus specialty meals. You’ll also find fitness and stress management classes, community events, herbs, essential oils and more here.
Where: 1920 8th Avenue North, Bessemer, AL 35020
Hours: Mon-Fri 11:30AM-4:30PM, Sat by appointment, Sun closed
This place opened on December 20 to rave reviews.
- Where: 1205 Lake DR SE Ste 111, Bessemer, AL 35022
- Call: 205.519.5557
- Hours: 11AM-3 PM, 4PM-10PM
6. Bessemer Local Food Education Network runs the farmer’s market.
This nonprofit, while not new, runs the farmer’s market and is hoping to open a community kitchen in 2020.
Here’s their mission: “to improve health and wellness of the people of Bessemer through nutrition education; to promote healthy lifestyles; the production and processing of fresh foods; and the creation of a sustainable local urban food economy.”
- When: Check their website for details for times and locations.
- Where: Alex Bradford Park and UAB Medical West.
7. Shopping: The Paisley Pig ups Bessemer’s cuteness factor big-time.
Stop by the Paisley Pig for all your vintage, antique and consignment shopping needs. You’ll find furniture, home decor, boutique clothing and more in this cute little shop that opened in 2018. If you want to sell, booths start at $45 monthly.
- Where: 1904 2nd Avenue North, Historic Downtown Bessemer, AL 35020
- Call: 205.900.2025
- When: Mon 9:30AM-4PM, Tues-Sat 10AM-6PM, closed Sundays
8. Legal: Just in Time offers flat-rate legal services for civil matters.
Imagine being able to go to an attorney knowing that you can come out with your civil legal matters taken care of for a flat fee. No hourly billing, no surprises for that quick phone call or email you sent. Just a set price.
- Where: 1922 3rd Avenue North, Bessemer, AL 35020
- Call: 205.436.2836