Have you heard about the growing micro-retail trend? Inside a micro-retail space, multiple vendors display their products. So, imagine a mini-mall. Birmingham has several micro-retail shops with a wide variety of products. Check them out!
1. Hanna Antique Mall
- Address: 2424 7th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Hours: Monday–Saturday, 10AM–5PM
Fun fact: Hanna Antiques is Birmingham’s oldest antique mall! With two floors and 27,000 square-feet of space, Hanna Antiques has something for everyone. For instance, if you’re looking for antique furniture, rugs, jewelry, books, or fashion accessories, Hanna Antiques has a little bit of everything.
2. Urban Suburban
- Address: 5514 Crestwood Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35212
- Hours: Monday–Saturday, 10AM–5:30PM; Sunday, 1PM–5:30PM
Urban Suburban is a wonderful mix of antiques, art, collectables, vintage clothing, jewelry and home decor. In fact, they have 65 unique vendors, all under one roof!
3. ORE Mercantile
- Address: 4414 4th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Opening date: November 9, 11AM
- Deep Creek Trading Co.
- Alabama Peanut Company
- Manitou Supply
- Faith Skate
- Original B’ham
- Magic City Organics
4. Sozo Trading Co.
- Address: 4 41st St S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Hours: Monday–Saturday, 10AM–6PM
Sozo Trading Co. specializes in upscale thrift items and merchandise from Uganda. Additionally, proceeds help support Sozo Children, which provides education, nutrition and medical care to more than 120 children in Uganda.
In addition to their own merchandise, Sozo Trading Co. leases 24 booth spaces to local vendors. You never know what you’ll find!
5. Irondale Pickers
- Address: 5401 Beacon Dr, Irondale, AL 35210
- Hours: Monday–Saturday, 10AM–6PM; Sunday, 1PM–6PM
Since Irondale Pickers was my first introduction to the world of micro-retail, I may be a bit biased. Inside a massive campus that used to be a retail store, Irondale Pickers has row after row of unique vendors. For instance, a booth with antique furniture is right next to a booth dedicated to vinyl records. In fact, there are more than 400 vendors to choose from. Certainly, there is something for everyone–including you!