Read Time 4 Minutes
Love pizza but want to avoid all that dough? Check out these tasty spots in Birmingham serving up gluten-free pizzas that will make you say “yum!“
I’ve yet to meet someone who doesn’t love Mellow Mushroom. Their laid back hippy vibe and uber delicious eats who could resist?
Another great thing about this groovy restaurant is that they offer tons of specialty items like gluten-free pizza—each served on their 10″ signature gluten-free crust.
Check out some of their yummy options:
- Kosmic Karma (vegan and gluten free): Mellow red sauce, feta cheese, mozzarella cheese, spinach, sun-dried roasted tomatoes, Roma tomatoes and a pesto swirl.
- House Special (gluten free): Mellow red sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, sausage, ground beef, ham, applewood smoked bacon, mushrooms, black olives, Roma tomatoes, green peppers and onions
Location: 920 Inverness Cors, Birmingham, AL 35242; 1200 20th St. S., Birmingham, AL 35205
Hours: Sun.-Thurs. 11AM-11PM; Fri.-Sat. 11AM-11PM
Slice Pizza & Brew
Stone oven pizzas and craft beers in a chill pizzeria? Yep, I’m talking about Slice Pizza and Brew. There are two cool things to know about this pizza joint:
- You can go gluten-free by ordering any pizza with cauliflower crust.
- Under each pizza listed on the menu, you’ll find the perfect beer to pair it with.
Check these out:
- Spicy Hawaiian: Capicola ham, grilled pineapple, fresh jalapeños and asiago.
- Beer Match: Good People IPA
- Price: $17
- White Shadow: garlic, caramelized onions, Portobello mushrooms, feta cheese, fresh parmesan and truffle oil.
- Beer Match: Westbrook White Thai
- Price: $18
- Soul Pie: turnip greens, black-eyed peas, Conch sausage, grilled red onions, bacon, pepper jack and cheddar cheese
- Beer Match: Moody Tongue Pils
- Price: $18
Location: 725 29th St. S., Birmingham, AL 35233
Hours: Sun.-Thurs. 11AM-10PM; Sat.-Sun. 11AM-11PM
What I love about pizza joints like Blaze Pizza is that you have the option to build your own pie. So if you’re looking to avoid gluten, you can opt for cauliflower crust. There is also a keto crust if you’re following the keto diet craze.
Here are some of the topping selections Blaze Pizza offers:
- Sauces: classic red, spicy red, white cream, garlic pesto
- Cheeses: feta, goat, gorgonzola, oval ini mozzarella, parmesan, ricotta, vegan
- Meats: applewood bacon, grilled chicken, Italian meatballs, Italian sausage, spicy chorizo (vegan)
- Veggies: artichokes, banana peppers, spinach, pineapple, black olive, jalapenos
- Finishes: arugula, balsamic glaze, bbq drizzle, buffalo sauce, pesto, olive oil, ranch
Location: 707 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. S., Birmingham, AL 35233
Hours: Daily, 11AM-9PM
Custom chef-inspired pizza, salads, sides and more—welcome to Pieology Pizzeria!
What’s especially nice about this restaurant is that they offer six premium crusts so you can personalize your pie however you’d like. Included in the list are, of course, some gluten-free options.
Here are some of their chef-inspired pizzas:
- Fire Grilled BBQ Chicken: all-natural chicken, mozzarella, gorgonzola, red onion, fresh cilantro, olive oil blend and BBQ sauce after-bake
- Margherita da Vinci: fresh basil, grape tomatoes, garlic, mozzarella, parmesan and olive oil blend
- Spicy Italian: house red sauce, spicy sausage, salami, mozzarella, fresh basil, garlic, chili flakes and garlic herb butter blend
Location: 325 Summit Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35243
Hours: Daily, 11AM-9PM
Pies & Pints Pizzeria
For mouth-watering pizza, make it a house pie from Pies & Pints Pizzeria.
For $2 extra, any house pie at Pints & Pies Pizzeria can be made on a small size gluten-free crust.
Which house pie will you choose? Here are some options:
- Pizza Pie: mozzarella, provolone and tomato sauce
- White Pie: mozzarella, provolone, ricotta, Parmesan, olive oil, roasted garlic and fresh herbs
Top either pie with a broad range of toppings from artichoke hearts and shrimp to grapes and roasted mushrooms.
Location: 125 20th St. S., Birmingham, AL 35233
Hours: Sun. 11AM-9PM; Mon.-Fri. 11AM-10PM; Fri.-Sat. 11AM-Midnight
Basil Pizza & Bar
If you enjoy artisanal pizzas, homemade sauces and robust wines, you’ll want to check out Basil Pizza & Bar.
On the menu, you’ll discover many pizzas to choose from—just be sure to ask for gluten-free crust.
Artisan pies can be ordered in 10″, 12″ and 16″ with price ranging from $12-$26. Here are some on the list:
- Bloomin Shroomin: marinara, mushrooms, onions, house cheese blend, onion straws.
- Veggie Overload: marinara, red and white onion, red and green bell peppers, mushrooms, black and green olives, banana peppers, jalapeños, house cheese blend, goat cheese
- Chicken Pesto: pesto, grilled chicken, spinach, mushrooms, red onion, goat cheese, house cheese blend
Location: 1101 Dunston Ave, Birmingham, AL 35213
Hours: Sun.-Thurs. 11AM-9PM; Fri.-Sat. 11AM-10PM
Flatbreads are one of my favorite menu items at Seasons 52. Well good news—you can order them gluten-free.
What’s great about them is that not only are they tasty, but they are perfect for a shared appetizer or as a solo meal.
Here are a few to consider:
- Broccoli, bacon and gruyere with sriracha cheese sauce
- Roasted tomato with mozzarella, parmesan and basil
- Lobster and fresh mozzarella with wood-grilled red peppers, scallions and lobster sour cream
Price ranges from $9-$16.
Location: 245 Summit Blvd., Birmingham, AL 35243
Hours: Sun. 11AM-9PM; Mon.-Thurs. 11AM-10PM; Fri.-Sat. 11AM-11PM