Read Time 3 Minutes
It’s that time of year again, folks. There is sooo much happening at Birmingham’s 2019 Magic City Classic, and here is what you need to know to get the most out of it.
The Magic City Classic is the largest Historically Black College and University (HBCU) football game in the country. With over 100,000 expected attendees, it can be a challenge to navigate. However, if you follow our handy guide, you will have a fun, stress-free experience!
1) The Magic City Classic is more than just a football game
The festivities start with the Classic Kickoff party from 6pm-8pm at the Sheraton on Thursday, Oct. 24th. Next, join other fans in a Parade through downtown Birmingham at 8am on Oct. 26th. The parade starts on the corner of 18th St. North and 7th Ave. North.
After the parade, head on to Legion Field for the Coors Light Pregame Tailgate Party. The tailgate lasts from 10am to 2pm in the west side parking lot.
The game between Alabama A&M University and Alabama State University starts at 2:30pm. Don’t miss the special recognition of the 2019 Magic City Classic Ambassador, Shaquille O’Neal!
For a full list of events, check out the website.
2) Get your tickets early!
Tickets to the game sell out fast, so make sure to grab yours early. Plan the events you’d like to attend, and purchase the tickets accordingly.
- General Admission + 2 Chainz postgame concert: $25
- Reserved Game Ticket +2 Chainz postgame concert: $35
- Discounted ticket at City Gear: $20
3) Prepare for Legion Field’s policies
Like most stadiums, Legion Field has a list of rules you need to follow. Make sure to know the prohibited items, so you don’t get ejected after standing in line!
- Legion Field only allows two types of bags: A 12″ x 6″ x 12″ clear plastic bag, and a 1-gallon plastic freeze bag.
Visit the Legion Field website to learn more.
4) Know your parking plans beforehand, and consider using the shuttle service
Parking at Legion Field can be a nightmare. However, there are a TON of great shuttle services to get you where you need to go.
Each shuttle ride is $5 for a round trip, although kids 12 and under ride free. There are three locations where you can hop on a shuttle and miss the infamous Magic City Classic traffic:
- Birmingham Crossplex: Avoid downtown traffic by parking at the Crossplex.
- Boutwell Auditorium: Park in the Boutwell Auditorium parking deck and walk across the street to the shuttle.
- Birmingham City Hall: Park in one of the nearby parking garages.
5) Stick around after the game for a 2 Chainz concert
After the game, stick around for the concert! Rapper and singer 2 Chainz will close out the festivities. Since 2 Chainz is a graduate of Alabama State University himself, he truly embodies what the Classic stands for.
We hope you have a wonderful time at the 2019 Magic City Classic, and don’t forget to let us know about your experience!