Read Time 5 Minutes
One of the best parts of living in Birmingham? The food, obviously! My bucket list of restaurants to try is constantly growing, and thankfully I don’t have to travel too far from my house in Hoover to check them out. Here’s your guide to where to find the best ethnic food in Hoover – add a few of these to your restaurant bucket list!
1. La Fiesta
Let’s get started with the food I could eat for every single meal: Mexican. La Fiesta can be hard to find, but it’s worth it when you make it. I went back to my elementary school roots and ordered chicken and cheese quesadillas – so good. Make sure you get the guacamole “salad” on the side so you can smother whatever you get with all of that guac! I have to note, they did charge for water… So, you may as well get a margarita!
- What: Mexican
- Where: 3619, 1941 Hoover Ct, Birmingham, AL 35226
- When: Mon.-Thurs. 11AM-2PM and 5-9:30PM, Fri. 11AM-2PM and 5-10PM, Sat. 11AM-2PM and 5-10:30PM, Sun. 11AM-2PM and 5-9PM
2. Taboon Noon o Kabab
I love bread in all its forms, and the taboon bread at this Persian restaurant is no exception. Taboon Noon o Kabab is a quick turn off of Highway 31 and it gets rave reviews for its selection, including hummus, koobideh (meat mixed with spices and grilled on skewers), and meat and vegetable pies (pictured above). The restaurant is open from 9 AM to 10 PM on weekdays and until 11 PM on weekends, making it the perfect lunch or dinner spot.
- What: Persian
- Where: 1550 Montgomery Highway P, Hoover, AL 35216
- When: Sun.-Thurs. 9AM-10PM, Fri.-Sat. 9AM-11PM
3. Kabob-Licious Indo-Pak Grill
Ever had those days where you’re craving everything and you just can’t choose? Yeah, same. That’s where restaurants like Kabob-Licious come in! It blends Indian and Pakistani cuisines and its menu includes samosas, chicken tikka, and of course, naan bread. You can find Kabob-Licious on Highway 31. This restaurant is the perfect way to get started on your own ethnic food bucket list.
- What: Indian/Pakistani
- Where: 1841 Hwy. 31 South, Hoover, AL 35244
- When: Tues.-Thurs. 11AM-3PM and 5PM-9PM, Fri. 11AM-3PM and 5PM-10PM, Sat.-Sun. 11AM-10PM
4. Blue Pacific
The best things in life are unexpected… like this amazing Thai restaurant located in a Hoover convenience food mart! First things first: You. Have. To. Get. The. Dumplings. I wanted to buy a hundred of them to take home, but I decided to hold off. They also offer delicious noodle and rice dishes with different meats and the best flavor. For the best variety, split the dumplings and a few main dishes with your friends. I’m already planning my next visit!
- What: Thai
- Where: 3219 Lorna Rd, Birmingham, AL 35216
- When: Tues.-Sat. 11AM-2:30PM and 5-8:30PM
5. Jake’s Soul Food Cafe
The struggle of deciding where to eat with your (picky) family is OVER. Jake’s Soul Food Cafe offers not only unique Caribbean/Jamaican ethnic foods but also southern favorites and soul food. When I went with my parents, I got the chicken curry with fried sweet plantains on the side and I left with enough food to feed me for days. My parents stuck with their southern roots and ordered meatloaf and hamburgers steaks. Jake’s is located by the Sam’s Club on John Hawkins Parkway.
- What: Caribbean/Jamaican
- Where: 3075 John Hawkins Pkwy, Hoover, AL 35244
- When: Tues.-Thurs. 11AM-9PM, Fri.-Sat. 11AM-10PM, Sun. 11AM-6PM
6. Komé Japanese Cuisine
First of all, looking at Komé’s menu had me majorly craving their gyoza. Flavorful meat wrapped in a crispy fried dough? Sign. Me. Up. Komé has plenty of different meat, vegetarian, and sushi options so you won’t leave hungry. The restaurant is located by the Galleria, so it would be the perfect way to round out a full day of shopping. The best thing is, at a restaurant like Komé, you don’t have to choose between your sushi and ramen cravings.
- What: Japanese
- Where: 3076 John Hawkins Pkwy, Birmingham, AL 35244
- When: Mon.-Thurs. 11AM-3PM and 5-9:30PM, Fri.-Sat. 11AM-10PM, Sun. 11AM-9PM
7. Costa’s Mediterranean Cafe
Costa’s to-go dishes have been a part of my family’s menu for as long as I can remember, and for good reason! You can please even the pickiest eater with their wide range of options – pastas, meats, and of course, Greek and Mediterranean options. Next time you aren’t sure what to bring to a potluck, pick up a family-sized meal from Costa’s.
- What: Mediterranean
- Where: 3443 Lorna Rd, Hoover, AL 35216
- When: Mon.-Thurs. 11AM-8:30PM, Fri.-Sat. 11AM-10PM,
8. Mr. Chen’s Chinese Cooking
Let’s be real, ordering a ton of takeout reminds me of the Gilmore Girls, so Mr. Chen’s helps me live my best Gilmore Girls life. They offer absolutely everything you could imagine so you could go with your classic choice or branch out from your usual order (spicy intestines or pig feet, anyone?). This restaurant provides authentic Chinese food and focuses on fresh, healthy dishes. They now have a few locations, but their Hoover branch is on Hoover Court.
- What: Chinese
- Where: 1917 Hoover Ct, Hoover, AL 35226
- When: Sun.-Thurs. 11AM-9PM, Fri.-Sat. 11AM-9:30PM
9. Silver Coin
Craving Indian food? Check out Silver Coin to get your fix. Their menu boasts everything you could imagine: samosas, curries, and options for meat-lovers and vegetarians. Their masala dosa (basically a crepe stuffed with spiced potatoes) sounds like everything I’ve ever wanted in a meal.
- What: Indian
- Where: 3321 Lorna Rd, Birmingham, AL 35216
- When: Tues.-Thurs. 11AM-2PM and 4:30-9:30PM, Fri. 11AM-2PM and 4:30-10PM, Sat. 11AM-10PM, Sun. 11AM-9:30PM
10. Taste of Thailand
Looking at Taste of Thailand’s menu has me majorly craving fried rice, one of their top dishes. Taste of Thailand is the perfect place to check out when you and your friends can’t decide between sushi and Thai because they offer both! You can either order your meal for delivery or you can eat in their restaurant on Lorna Road.
- What: Thai
- Where: 3321 Lorna Rd # 3, Birmingham, AL 35216
- When: Tues.-Sat. 11AM-2:30PM and 4:30-9:30PM, Sun. 11AM-9PM
11. Bawarchi Biryanis
Bawarchi Birmingham is highly-rated, and it’s clear why! This restaurant serves varieties of all your favorites, plus they’re involved in the city. You may have seen their name at a few of Birmingham’s Diwalli festivals. They’re known for their biryanis—dishes containing meat or vegetables marinated in herbs and spices, served with Basmati rice. Yum!
- What: Indian
- Where: 2798 John Hawkins Pkwy, Suite 108, Hoover, AL 35244
- When: Mon-Thurs 11AM-2:30PM and 5-10PM; Fri-Sat 11AM-10PM; Sun 11AM-9:30PM
Hoover is the perfect spot to try out new ethnic food and different restaurants! All of these restaurants will keep you coming back for more.