Read Time 5 Minutes
Here at Bham Now, we’re watching Woodlawn, and we’re happy to share a dozen events in Woodlawn that are happening this Summer.
Whether you’re a longtime Woodlawn resident, or have been meaning to check out the area, there’s something for everyone.
Ongoing events in Woodlawn
1. Every day: Community Kitchens at Grace Episcopal Church
Community Kitchens serves lunch 365 days a year at Grace Episcopal Church in Woodlawn. Everyone is welcome as a guest for a meal, with no religious or income requirements. Volunteers are also welcome. Individuals and groups can sign up here.
2. Tuesdays-Thursdays: Woodlawn Farm Stand
Find fresh produce, flowers and fruit at this student-run farm stand.
- Woodlawn High School: the Farm Stand is next to the Farm Center, with parking available behind the high school
- 253 54th St N.
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3-5:30PM
3. Thursdays: Free Adult Literacy Classes at The Dream Center
Birmingham Jumpstart offers free adult literacy classes weekly in Woodlawn.
- The Birmingham Dream Center
- 5705 1st Avenue North
- Thursdays, 4- 5PM
One-off events in Woodlawn
4. June 6: Natural Henna 101 at the Woodlawn Library
Teens and adults are invited to learn about henna from a Natural Henna artist. You’ll learn about henna’s history and how to use it. People who come to the workshop will get to put henna on themselves. Contact the library to register.
- 5709 1st Ave N, Birmingham, Alabama 35212
- Thursday, June 6, 10AM-11AM
- (205) 595-2001
5. June 6-8: The Michael Conway annual display of the AIDS Memorial Quilt at Woodlawn United Methodist
“Each year we display The Quilt as a way to honor and remember those who we have lost to AIDS. We will also be showing ‘The Last One,’ a film about The Quilt, how it came to be and the influencers behind its panels each day of the display. The film runs 80 mins.”
- Woodlawn United Methodist Church
- 139 54th St N, Birmingham, Alabama 35212
- Off street parking available
- ADA accessible
- Thursday, June 6-Friday, June 7, 6-8PM, film showing at 6:30PM
- June 8, 10AM-3PM, film showing at 11AM
- Welcome and open to all, no charge
6. June 8 + August 10: Woodlawn Street Market
Check out this market “in the heart of Historic Woodlawn.” This market’s now in its 6th season. You’ll find loads of local vendors, plenty of tasty food and live entertainment.
- 1 55th Pl S, Birmingham, Alabama 35212
- Saturday, June 8, 10AM-4PM
- Saturday, August 10, 10AM-4PM
- Bike valet by Redemptive Cycles
REV Birmingham is looking for volunteers to help make the market a success. Find out more or sign up here.
7. June 11: Woodlawn Porch Party at The Park at Wood Station Clubhouse
Woodlawn Urban Main – a partnership of REV Birmingham and Woodlawn Foundation with planning support from Main Street Alabama and Main Street America are teaming up to host a porch party with a purpose. They want to gather Woodlawn’s movers and shakers, creatives and makers, and help them bring their ideas into fruition. The ultimate goal? Make the community better by pooling talents and helping hidden gems shine.
- The Park at Wood Station Clubhouse
- 6051 1st Ave South
- June 11, 6:30-8:30PM
8. June 22: Community Juneteenth Celebration at Willow Wood Recreation Center is one of the big events in Woodlawn
While the official date for Juneteenth is June 19, there will be celebrations at Kelly Ingram Park June 15 and at Willow Wood Recreation Center June 22. This is Woodlawn’s second year to host the community-wide celebration for Greater Birmingham.
Here’s what they have to say about the event: “On Juneteenth, we celebrate remembering our past and the freedom and independence of our African American ancestors and the work toward justice for all people.”
All are welcome to a celebration filled with food, “music, spoken word by Magic City Poetry, words from the National Juneteenth Observance Foundation of Alabama, a reading of the Emancipation Proclamation, and words from Birmingham Civil Rights Movement Foot Soldiers.
- “Willow Wood Recreation Center
- 5312 Georgia Road
- Hosted by the Woodlawn Neighborhood Association
- Saturday, June 22, 11AM-2PM
- Free food
9. June 24-July 31: Desert Island Supply Co. July Book + Film Club—Don’t Look Now
This event takes place on two dates: June 24 and July 31. Register by June 19. The book and film club is hosted by Desert Island Supply Co., Sidewalk Film Festival and the Alabama State Council on the Arts.
Anyone who registers needs to get their book (BFI Film Classics: Don’t Look Now) from the Sidewalk office between June 24-28. Books have to be picked up before July 3. The film screening (Don’t Look Now, 1973, Roeg) and discussion is on July 31st at Desert Island Supply Co.
- Desert Island Supply Co., 5500 1st Ave. N.
- Tickets $30 per person
- Sidewalk Film Festival office, 310 18th St N Suite 404
10. July 2 + August 6: Free legal help for Woodlawn residents at Social Venture
If you or someone you know needs legal advice, you can head over to the Woodlawn Help Desk on the first Tuesday of the month.
- The Social Venture Building
- 5529 1st Ave So.
- Tuesday, July 2, 9AM
- Tuesday, August 6, 9AM
11. July 6 + August 3: First Saturday Serve at The Birmingham Dream Center
Help make the community better the first Saturday of each month at The Birmingham Dream Center.
- 5705 1st Ave N
- 1st Saturday Serve Days
- 8-12, lunch served, meet at Dream Center
12. July 18: On Track: Job Development and Training Series at The Birmingham Dream Center
Starting Thursday, July 18, Birmingham Jumpstart is hosting a class series called “On Track: Job Development and Training Series.” They’ll be teaching skills that are necessary in the current job market.
- The Birmingham Dream Center
- 5705 1st Ave N
- Every Thursday 4-5PM for 6 weeks
- Classes are free and open to the public
As you can tell, there’s a lot happening in Woodlawn this Summer. There are so many opportunities to contribute to the life of the city.
Now, we want to hear from you: do you know of other events in Woodlawn this Summer? What did we miss?