Move over Churchill Downs and Talladega. Bham Now was on hand yesterday to witness the most exciting, quirkiest and unusual race in the South… the UAB annual Gurney Derby.
Established in 1994, the Gurney Derby is one of the most popular Homecoming Week traditions at UAB.
Here is how it works
Teams of four (two men and two women) race down and back on a stretch of 13th Street South while pushing a “passenger” on old hospital gurneys.
The race takes between 30 to 40 seconds.
The UAB National Alumni Association gives out prestigious and highly sought after awards to the 1st, 2nd, third and fourth place teams, best-dressed gurney, most creative “passenger,” and the “Dead Last Award.”
2018 Gurney Derby Award Winners
* First Place: 29.30 Public Enema #1 – School of Health Professions
* Second Place: 29.49 Blazing Education – School of Education
* Third Place: 32.10 The Frequent Flyers – PA Studies Program
* Fourth Place: 32.77 Gas Passers – Nurse Anesthesia Class of 2021* Best Dressed Gurney: Pre-Health Pros – Alpha Epsilon Delta
* Dead Last Award: Yes We (Nar)can! – UAB Beacon Recovery/School of Medicine
* Most Creative Passenger:”Eye” Deal Drugs – Callahan Eye Hospital