Today marked my maiden voyage to the remodeled Crestwood ALDI, which celebrated its grand reopening on July 18. First, I met a friend for lunch at IKKO in 5 Points. “Oh yeah, I went there yesterday,” she said when she found out where I was headed.” It was nice. It was like ALDI.”
Hence my theory that there are two types of people in this world.
There are those who love ALDI in a nonchalant way, like my lunch companion. And there are those who love ALDI in a diehard fanatic way, like the lucky winner in the Instagram post below.
Or this local Instagrammer who scouted out the Crestwood ALDI remodel before the brand-new freezer shelves were stocked.
If you fall in the latter category, you probably already checked out the new look in the Homewood store, which reopened in April. On the other hand, if you’re in the first category, here’s an inside peek at what you’ll see next time you visit the ALDI at 7580 Crestwood Boulevard.
What’s New At Crestwood ALDI
- modern design
- open ceilings
- natural lighting
- recycled building materials
- energy-efficient refrigeration
- LED lighting
In a word, more. Across the country, the ALDI revamp means more space for fresh produce, meat and bakery items. But don’t worry, your ALDI favorites haven’t gone anywhere.
Say auf Wiedersehen (that means goodbye) to MSG, synthetic colors and partially hydrogenated oils. In addition to the remodeling effort, the German grocery chain recently removed these ingredients from all ALDI exclusive brand foods.
We’re used to ALDI going easy on our wallets, but the company’s nationwide remodeling plan is contributing to the bottomline on a larger scale.
By The Numbers
ALDI Revamp Nationwide
- $1.9 billion is the price tag on ALDI’s plan to remodel and expand existing stores in the United States.
- 1,300 U.S. ALDI stores will don the new look by the end of 2020.
- 25,000 new U.S. jobs will be created by the initiative, including positions in stores, warehouses and offices.
ALDI Revamp in the Magic City
- $14 million is the price tag on ALDI’s renovation plans in Birmingham metro.
- 13 Birmingham ALDI stores will get the new look by end of 2019.
Tell Us What You Think
Whether you’re an ALDI fan or an ALDI fanatic, what do you think of the Crestwood ALDI remodel?