Read Time 1 Minutes
According to the Jefferson County Department of Health, the air quality in the Birmingham area is expected to be unhealthy for some sensitive groups today, Wednesday, June 6th.
The Alabama Department of Environmental Management issued the “Code Orange” air quality alert Tuesday afternoon for ozone pollution.
A “Code Orange” is categorized as a “Unhealthy.” Health officials recommend active children and adults, and people with lung disease, such as asthma, reduce prolonged or heavy exertion outdoors.
These groups may experience coughing or shortness of breath. ADEM and the Jefferson County Department of Health recommend scheduling outdoor activities in the morning when ozone levels are lower.
On “Code Orange” High Ozone Days, please follow the following tips to Reduce Pollution:
- Choose a cleaner commute – share a ride to work or use public transportation.
- Combine errands and reduce trips. Walk to errands when possible.
- Avoid excessive idling of your automobile.
- Refuel your car in the evening when its cooler.
- Conserve electricity and set air conditioners no lower than 78 degrees.
- Defer lawn and gardening chores that use gasoline-powered equipment, or wait until evening.
During the summer when ozone pollution is most prevalent, here are daily “tips” that you can do to reduce air pollution in the Birmingham metro area.
- Conserve energy – at home, at work, everywhere.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR label when buying home or office equipment.
- Carpool, use public transportation, bike, or walk whenever possible.
- Follow gasoline refueling instructions for efficient vapor recovery, being careful not to spill fuel and always tightening your gas cap securely.
- Consider purchasing portable gasoline containers labeled “spill-proof,” where available.
- Keep car, boat, and other engines properly tuned.
- Be sure your tires are properly inflated.
- Use environmentally safe paints and cleaning products whenever possible.
- Mulch or compost leaves and yard waste.
- Consider using gas logs instead of wood.