Read Time 2 Minutes
Are you seeking a way to help fund your local pet organization? Then submit your application for a Remy Fund grant through the Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham.
What is the Remy Fund?
The Remy Fund for Pets and Animal Services is a special Field of Interest Fund of the Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham. It provides grants in support of nonprofit groups that work with traditional companion animals, such as dogs, cats and horses.
The Remy Fund was established in 2010 by Birmingham community leader, Ken Jackson, who named the fund in honor of his late dog, Remy – a Jack Russell/Shih Tzu mix.
“Remy was my inspiration,” said Ken. “She was my best friend.”
Ken Jackson has been a huge benefactor of the Remy Fund.
Alongside generous contributions from community donors, Ken has helped the Remy Fund with generous contributions. He has provided $750,000 to the fund, which has enabled more grant-making dollars to go to animal-related programs every year.
He has also provided the funds needed in order to build Remy’s dog park at Red Mountain Park. Ken also contributed $500,000 to Hand in Paw to name its new building in honor of the organizations founder, Beth Franklin.
The Remy Fund impact
Since its establishment, the Remy Fund has made a mighty impact on the community. It has provided more than $235,000 to support diverse animal organizations that help improve the lives of pets and humans.
“Although some of the Remy Fund grant recipients are larger, well-known area animal organizations,” said Ken, “the biggest impacts frequently are experienced by the smaller, all volunteer, specially-focused groups.”
How to Apply
If you would like to apply for a Remy Fund grant, here’s what you should know:
- The Remy Fund conducts one grant cycle per year, with the process beginning in late spring and concluding by the end of summer.
- Initial applications must be submitted online, and the online form will only be available from Thursday, March 15, 2018 through Monday, April 30, 2018. Organizations missing this window will have to wait until the next year to apply.
- Grants will generally be made in the $2,000 to $10,000 range, and will be restricted to organizations classified as public charities under section 501(c)3 of the IRS code and based in, or serving, one or more of the following Alabama counties: Blount, Jefferson, Shelby, St. Clair, and Walker.
- The Remy Fund for Pets and Animal Services considers grant requests from organizations with a mission or specific programs that involve traditional companion animals, such as:
- Rescue/shelter programs
- Spay/neuter programs
- Animal-assisted therapy programs
- Education and advocacy programs (promoting the humane and dignified treatment of traditional companion animals)
- Service dog programs
- Designated 501(c)3 organizations that serve Jefferson, Shelby, St. Clair, Blount and Walker counties
- Requests will be considered for general organizational support. However, preference will be given to projects with clear goals and objectives.
- Capital projects will not be considered at this time.
- Initial applications must be submitted online and by the provided deadlines.
To see a list of recent grantees, follow this link.
To apply, click here.
For questions about the application process, contact Kim Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org or 205.327.3804.