Read Time 3 Minutes
Talking with Deon Gordon, the Director of Business Growth for REV, I found out some great info about the revitalization geared organization.
“We exist to ‘creates vibrant commercial districts by filling vacant spaces and growing sustainable businesses.’
In our Business Growth department, we help advance the component of our mission that seeks grow sustainable businesses. Guiding our efforts is the belief in an accessible, equitable, and robust small business development ecosystem for Birmingham.”
BIZ 1.0 (re-branding soon as BIZ 101) – Three hour workshop intended to help aspiring small business owners develop their business idea.
- To Enter – $35 fee
- Click here to Apply
- Every 3rd Friday at SocialVenture in Woodlawn
- 8:30am to 11:30am.
Past Participants –
CO.STARTERS – Program run in concert with Create Birmingham designed to help current and aspiring small business owners carefully validate their business concepts before taking ideas to market or expanding current business.
- To enter – Must have a least a concept to test – $575 (payment plans & scholarships are offered)
- Click here to Apply
- 3 classes scheduled in 2017 (first starts Jan 23).
- 10 weeks long
- 6-9 pm at SocialVenture
- Cohort of 12-15
- Led by business expert in the community.
Review and some past Graduates –
CO.STARTERS Alumni Network – Intended to provide ongoing support, networking, and accountability to program graduates.
- Facebook Group
- 1 month, 2 month, and 3 month goal reviews called 30/60/90’s
- Casual Alumni Mixers – “After Hours”
Impact Businesses – The objective is to offer direct, strategic, and intentional services to owners and entrepreneurs who are best positioned to make advancements in their concepts…
- 10 clients are selected, each quarter, to participate
Participants include –
The Big Pitch Presented By PNC – Heading into its fourth year, TBP offers 10 entrepreneurs the chance to pitch their business ideas in front of five expert judges and hundreds of live audience members.
- To enter – Must plan to open/expand with in Birmingham
- Click here to Apply – Applications open in September
- Winner’s are competing for a share of $25,000 & additional services – legal, web, graphic, and accounting from supporting sponsors.
- Contestant’s are paired with expert mentors…
- Participate in the Bootcamp – training with subject matter experts in areas such as pitch practice, marketing, business banking and more.
Past first place winners include –
REVEAL Kitchen – Restaurant incubator opening soon in the redeveloped Pizitz building downtown.
- To enter – Must be a CO.STARTERS alum
- This space will allow up and coming culinary talent the space and time to develop their proof of concept.
- “Restauranteurs” will operate for 4 to 6 months with industry experts to develop a scalable business model…
First tenant –
Other Events/Services Associated Include –
- Woodlawn Street Market
- Birmingham Restaurant Week – Winter Bham Restaurant Week – Jan. 20th to the 29th
Type of Companies REV Serves:
Emphasis is placed on ‘creative and lifestyle businesses,’ those that add foot traffic and vibrancy to areas…”
- REVEAL Kitchen Incubator – Pizitz Food Hall
- Tropicaleo selected winner of “The Big Pitch” & first tenant in REVEAL Kitchen
- Naughty But Nice Kettle Corn & Books A Million partnership
- Rainy Day opens in Railroad Park within Small Box Co. container
- Ghost Train Brewing opens (recent alum)
- Eugene’s Hot Chicken announces brick and mortar location in Uptown
- Municipal Gov.
- Federal Grants
- Financial Institutions
- Program Revenues
Revenue impact on Birmingham:
- $200 Million in projects
How REV is Unique:
“The focus on creative and lifestyle small businesses…”