Want to add your event to our calendar? Click here.  Email events at (@) BhamNow dot com for promotional options.

View Events:

Teacher Cadre: The Struggle for Jewish Equality before the Holocaust

ZOOM Online

For many people, anti-Jewish and antisemitic violence is crystallized in the Holocaust, but do not know how it fits within the larger narrative of Jews’ centuries-long endeavor to become citizens with equal rights. In this talk/workshop, Dr. Meola will introduce the struggle for Jewish emancipation alongside a different view of Jewish history, one that looks to show Jewish life and contributions to society and how they fought for equality. 1.5 CEU Credits for Teachers available through PowerSchool   Register Here   Dr. David Meola is the Bert & Fanny Meisler Assistant Professor of History & Jewish Studies at the UniversityContinue Reading ...

Carols & Cocktails Soiree

Vulcan Park and Museum 1701 Valley View Dr, Birmingham, AL

You are cordially invited to join The Black Belt Community Development Corporation for our Inaugural "Carols & Cocktails" Soiree. On Friday December 10th, we welcome you to celebrate the holiday season with us, for an evening of festive drinks, live entertainment and catering by Simone's Kitchen ATL. This is a formal black tie event and all proceeds benefit the Black Belt Toy Drive and Black Belt Corporation. The Black Belt Community Development Corporations are 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations created to support and revitalize communities in the Black Belt especially those that are impoverished, underserved and unskilled laborers

$100

Holiday Open House and Maker’s Market at Studio By The Tracks

Studio By the Tracks, 301 20th St S, Irondale, AL 35210, USA 101 20th St S

On Saturday, December 11th, Studio By The Tracks welcomes you to their location in Irondale to celebrate art, community, neurodiversity, and the gift-giving season. The annual Holiday Open House fundraiser at Studio By The Tracks is back, along with our outdoor holiday Maker’s Market! Not only will you find all kinds of Studio merchandise and one-of-a-kind art from all of our SBTT artists in the indoor Studio Sale, but you can also shop from 18 local art and gift vendors in the outdoor market! To learn more about this event, go to studiobythetracks.org/holiday.   When: Saturday, December 11th, 2021 from 10 amContinue Reading ...

Free

Teacher Workshop: Teaching With Stories-ROMANIA

ZOOM Online

DESCRIPTION When Hungary joined the Axis alliance in 1940, they were given the Northern Transylvania region of Romania as a reward for siding with Germany. The Jews of Transylvanian were soon subjected to Hungary’s anti-Jewish regulations. Four years later, as they seemed to be losing the war, the Nazis occupied Hungary and focused their efforts on the last major Jewish deportations of the war. Explore this history through the lives of three survivors who lived within 75 miles of each other in Transylvania: Max Steinmetz, born 1925, Târgu Lăpuș, Romania Martin Aaron, born 1927, Săpînţa, Romania Elie Wiesel, born 1928,Continue Reading ...

Teacher Webinar: Part I – Holocaust By Bullets in Central and Eastern Europe

ZOOM Online

Register Here Event Flyer   Please Note This is a 2-part webinar: Part I: Holocaust by Bullets in Central and Eastern Europe / January 20 Part II: It Happened in a Village of Eastern Europe: A Case Study / March 10 Attendance at Part I is a pre-requisite for Part II.  Please do NOT sign up for Part II only. A separate registration is required for each Part of the webinar. This webinar will NOT be recorded, and attendees will only receive resource materials for the Session(s) that they attend. Registration for teachers in Alabama and Georgia will beContinue Reading ...

International Holocaust Remembrance Day Commemoration

Vestavia Hills City Hall (Council Chambers) 1032 Montgomery Highway, Vestavia Hills

THIS IS NOW A VIRTUAL EVENT Register Now   The United Nations General Assembly designated January 27—the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau—as International Holocaust Remembrance Day. On this annual day of commemoration, the UN urges every member state to honor the six million Jewish victims of the Holocaust and millions of other victims of Nazism and to develop educational programs to help prevent future genocides.” Join the BHEC in observance of International Holocaust Remembrance Day with second generation survivor, Esther Gerson Levy, who will be sharing her family’s experience during the Holocaust followed by a Q&A. Join us to rememberContinue Reading ...

Holocaust in Film 2022, Film #1: Hitler’s Hollywood-German Cinema in the Age of Porpaganda 1933-45

Sidewalk Film Center & Cinema 1821 2nd Ave N, Birmingham, AL

Free admission  Free popcorn is provided for all attendees Stay tuned after the screening for a discussion of the film led by local film director, producer, and historian, Michele Forman ATTENTION: In order to reduce this risk of COVID-19 transmission, the audience at all screenings will be limited and masks will be required. Registration for these films will close once capacity has been reached.   Register Now   About Film #2: Europa Europa About Film #3: My Italian Secret About Film #4: Denial   PLOT Filmmaker Rüdiger Suchsland suggests that the Third Reich was essentially an immersive movie starring theContinue Reading ...

Holocaust in Film 2022, Film #2: Europa Europa

Free admission  Free popcorn is provided for all attendees Stay tuned after the screening for a discussion of the film led by local film director, producer, and historian, Michele Forman ATTENTION: In order to reduce this risk of COVID-19 transmission, the audience at all screenings will be limited and masks will be required. Registration for these films will close once capacity has been reached.   Register Now     About Film #3: My Italian Secret About Film #4: Denial   PLOT Europa Europa is based on the true story of a young German Jew who survived the Holocaust by fallingContinue Reading ...

Holocaust in Film 2022, Film #3: My Italian Secret-The Forgotten Heroes

Free admission  Free popcorn is provided for all attendees Stay tuned after the screening for a discussion of the film led by local film director, producer, and historian, Michele Forman ATTENTION: In order to reduce this risk of COVID-19 transmission, the audience at all screenings will be limited and masks will be required. Registration for these films will close once capacity has been reached.   Register Now   About Film #4: Denial   PLOT Would you risk your life to save a stranger and never talk about it?  MY ITALIAN SECRET tells the story of sports idol Gino Bartali and other courageous Italians who carriedContinue Reading ...

Holocaust in Film 2022, Film #4: Denial

Free admission  Free popcorn is provided for all attendees Stay tuned after the screening for a discussion of the film led by local film director, producer, and historian, Michele Forman ATTENTION: In order to reduce this risk of COVID-19 transmission, the audience at all screenings will be limited and masks will be required. Registration for these films will close once capacity has been reached.   Register Now   PLOT Based on the acclaimed book Denial: Holocaust History on Trial, DENIAL recounts Deborah E. Lipstadt’s (Academy Award® winner Rachel Weisz) legal battle for historical truth against David Irving (BAFTA nominee Timothy Spall), who accusedContinue Reading ...

Teacher Webinar: Part II – It Happened in a Village of Eastern Europe, A Case Study

ZOOM Online

Register Here Event Flyer   Please Note This is Part II of a 2-part webinar: Part I: Holocaust by Bullets in Central and Eastern Europe / January 20 Part II: It Happened in a Village of Eastern Europe: A Case Study / March 10 If you did not attend Part I: Holocaust by Bullets in Central and Eastern Europe on January 20, please do not sign up for this workshop. A separate registration is required for each Part of the webinar. This webinar will NOT be recorded. Registration for teachers in Alabama and Georgia will be on a first-come,Continue Reading ...

A Story of Triumph: Featuring Eva Schloss, Stepsister of Anne Frank

Lyric Theatre 1800 Third Avenue North, Birmingham, AL

Doors open 6:00pm. Masks will NOT be required. Event Flyer   Enter the world of Anne Frank as told by her stepsister and childhood friend, Eva Schloss. Like her stepsister, Eva went into hiding in Holland until she, along with her family, was betrayed, captured, and sent to Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp. Eva Schloss is a trustee of the Anne Frank Educational Trust, an author of three books, and the subject of James Still’s play, And Then They Came for Me: Remembering the World of Anne Frank. Eva will share her story of survival and her journey to becoming an internationally renowned humanitarianContinue Reading ...

MY BROKEN DOLL, a play produced by Baleigh Nelson, AHEC Intern

Red Mountain Theatre 1600 3rd Avenue South, Birmingham, AL

Doors will open at 2:00pm. General Admission. Masks are required. Registration is required.   Baleigh Nelson, AHEC intern and theater major at Samford University, was tasked with choosing a play to produce for her senior project. After searching for a meaningful production, Baleigh decided on My Broken Doll. Based on the book My Broken Doll: A Memoir of Survival of the Vichy Regime by Beatrice Karp as told to Deborah Pappenheimer, My Broken Doll follows the life of Beatrice (Bea) Karp during the Holocaust. The one-hour play includes detailed descriptions of events surrounding Bea Karp’s history: life before WWII, deportationContinue Reading ...

Free

“My Broken Doll,” a play produced by Baleigh Nelson, AHEC Intern

Red Mountain Theatre Arts Campus 1600 3rd Avenue South, Birmingham, AL

SOLD OUT Doors will open at 2:00pm. General Admission. Masks are required. Registration is required.   Baleigh Nelson, AHEC intern and theater major at Samford University, was tasked with choosing a play to produce for her senior project. After searching for a meaningful production, Baleigh decided on My Broken Doll. Based on the book My Broken Doll: A Memoir of Survival of the Vichy Regime by Beatrice Karp as told to Deborah Pappenheimer, My Broken Doll follows the life of Beatrice (Bea) Karp during the Holocaust. The one-hour play includes detailed descriptions of events surrounding Bea Karp’s history: life beforeContinue Reading ...

Free

Remembering the Holocaust

University of Alabama / Student Center Theater 715 Campus Drive West, Tuscaloosa, AL

Free and open to the public. Registration required.   Register Here     Amy McDonald & Max Steinmetz, 2014                     In observance of Yom HaShoah, Bama Hillel and the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will host a special program to celebrate the lives of those lost during the Holocaust. Participants will have the opportunity to hear from author, Amy McDonald, as she discusses the details of life and experiences of Holocaust survivor, Max Steinmetz, who lived in Birmingham, Alabama and passed away in March 2021. McDonald is an AP U.S.Continue Reading ...

Want to add your event to our calendar? Click here.  Email events at (@) BhamNow dot com for promotional options.