Nothing tastes more like summer than watermelon. Enjoy one of these seasonal summer treats featuring fresh watermelon in the Magic City and keep reading to know how to pick the juiciest watermelon.
1. Watermelon Marg—Taco Mama
Celebrate sunny days with a watermelon margarita. Head on over to Taco Mama and enjoy this summertime flavor that is sure to cool you down.
2. Refresh Juice—Farm Bowl + Juice Company
Need something refreshing? Stop by Farm Bowl + Juice Company for their Refresh Juice featuring watermelon, mint, cucumber and beet. The perfect cold pressed juice for a summer morning.
- Location: 1920 29th Ave S, Homewood, AL 35209
- Hours: Monday-Friday 7AM-7PM | Saturday-Sunday 8AM-7PM
- Website | Instagram
3. Cahababerry Crawl—Cahaba Brewing
Enjoy a summer cocktail with hints of watermelon at Cahaba Brewing. This drink contains vodka, strawberry, watermelon, lemonade and basil.
- Location: 4500 5th Ave S, Building C Birmingham, AL 35222
- Hours: Monday 3PM-10PM | Tuesday-Saturday 11AM – 10PM | Sunday 11AM – 8PM
- Website | Facebook | Instagram
4. Seasonal Watermelon Margarita—El Barrio
Try a seasonal watermelon margarita at El Barrio. This flavor is not available year-round, so make sure to get one while you can.
- Location: 2211 2nd Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: Tuesday-Thursday 11:30AM-8PM | Friday-Saturday 11:30AM-9PM
- Website | Facebook | Instagram
5. Watermelon juice—The Collins Bar
The Collins Bar has fresh watermelon juice for all your cocktail needs. Show up to the bar early this weekend and you might just get your drink served in the watermelon the juice came from.
- Location: 2125 2nd Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 4PM-12AM | Friday-Saturday 4PM-2AM
- Facebook | Instagram
6. Watermelon Margarita— Little Donkey
Take one sip of Little Donkey’s watermelon margarita and you might just claim it as your drink of the summer. Stop by on a Tuesday for $4 margaritas.
- Location: Little Donkey Homewood, 2701 18th St., Suite 200, Birmingham, AL 35209 | Little Donkey Greystone, 5363 US-280, b100, Hoover, AL 35242
- Website | Homewood Instagram | Greystone Instagram | Homewood Facebook | Greystone Facebook
7. Warm Pistachio Crusted Goat Cheese—Gianmarco’s
Gianmarco’s goat cheese has arugula, watermelon and aged balsamic to give it a wonderful combination of crunch and smooth while also being full of explosive flavor. The cheese is sweet and nutty all in one.
- Location: 721 Broadway St, Birmingham, AL 35209
- Hours: Monday-Tuesday + Saturday 5-10PM | Wednesday-Friday 11AM-2PM; 5-10PM
- Website| Facebook | Instagram
8. Summer salad—Real & Rosemary
Real & Rosemary’s seasonal summer salad is back. The spring mix is topped with watermelon, tomatoes, peaches, feta and pecans with a lemon vinaigrette drizzled all over.
Pick the juiciest watermelon
Have the best watermelon this summer with a few tips and tricks below.
- We know it sounds a little crazy, but it’s an old trick….place a piece of broom straw horizontally across a watermelon. If the melon is ripe, the straw will turn to a 45-degree angle.
- Love juicy watermelon? Pick the heaviest watermelon, meaning the one that is the heaviest for its size. A heavy watermelon contains more water which means juicer fruit.
- Look for a watermelon with a big yellow spot from where the melon was resting on the ground. The more dark yellow the spot is, the longer it was on the vine sweetening.
Let us know what watermelon drink or dish you try by tagging us @bhamnow.