Summer is right around the corner which means it’s time to start planning the ultimate getaway. From sandy beaches to majestic mountains, we’ve got you covered with some of the best vacation spots in the Southeast that are just a hop, skip and a jump away from The Magic City! Take a look at some of the top summer destinations for your next vacay.
1. Dekalb County
Escape to the hills of northeast Alabama in Dekalb County and enjoy the stunning landscapes and unique experiences this dreamy destination has to offer. Be sure to check out some of these amazing experiences:
- Adventure on some hiking trails and explore a number of stunning waterfalls Dekalb has to offer.
- Take a horseback ride through the scenic trails of Mentone at Shady Grove Horse Ranch.
- For a unique and thrilling experience head over to Green Axes to put your axe-throwing skills to the test.
- Kickstart your day with coffee and a delicious pastry from the Frothy Dog.
What are you waiting for? Check out DeKalb Tourism’s website and plan your trip today!
2. The Island Resort at Fort Walton
When it comes to summer vacations, a fun-filled beach getaway is a must! If you’re looking to relax and unwind with stunning scenery and your toes in the sand, be sure to check out The Island at Fort Walton.
This summer hotspot has so much to offer! Visitors can take in Emerald Coast views or take a load off and chill by the pool. This resort also has a variety of tasty on-site restaurants, a lively nightlife scene and endless amenities for all guests to enjoy.
There is a Summer Fun special running right now, which includes:
- 10% off a 3+ night stay
- $50 food/beverage credit to use onsite
What more could you ask for in a summer vacay? Take advantage of this special offer.
- Distance from Birmingham: 4 hours
- Where: 1500 Miracle Strip Pkwy SE, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548
- Website I Facebook I Instagram
3. Tupelo Elvis Festival
Another great addition to your summer bucket list is the vibrant town of Tupelo, Mississippi. This unique destination attracts history buffs, music lovers and outdoor enthusiasts alike.
Elvis fans! Don’t miss out on celebrating the King himself at the annual Tupelo Elvis Festival happening this summer. Check out the deets below:
- When: Wednesday, June 7 – Sunday, June 11
- Grab your tickets today!
Want more of Tupelo? Check out some of the other fun experiences you can enjoy!
- Experience the Queen’s Reward Meadery, Mississippi’s first Meadery. Guests can indulge in locally-sourced honey-made wines from the area along with a perfectly paired charcuterie board.
- Take the scenic route on the Natchez Trace Parkway and enjoy over 444 miles of beauty from Natchez, Mississippi to Nashville, Tennessee.
- Experience the thrill of seeing majestic bison up close and many other amazing animals, while enjoying an exciting day with family and friends at the Tupelo Buffalo Park and Zoo.
Don’t miss out on all the fun that Tupelo has to offer! Book your trip today.
Nestled in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Asheville, NC is a popular summer destination with something for everyone to enjoy, from stunning natural scenery and outdoor adventures to a thriving arts and culture scene and unique local cuisine. Be sure to check out some of these Asheville must-dos:
- Visit the iconic Biltmore Estate and explore its stunning gardens, winery and historic mansion.
- Explore the great outdoors by hiking the nearby Appalachian Trail, biking along the Blue Ridge Parkway or tubing down the French Broad River.
- Immerse yourself in Asheville’s vibrant arts and culture scene by visiting local galleries and museums, attending a concert or festival or taking a craft workshop.
- Indulge in Asheville’s unique culinary offerings by sampling farm-to-table cuisine, craft beer or locally-made chocolates and cheeses.
Distance from Birmingham: 5.5 hours
Looking for a fun summer destination? Atlanta, Georgia offers a diverse range of attractions, from world-class museums and parks to buzzing nightlife and delicious Southern cuisine. Here are some of our favorite spots to add to your list when visiting the ATL:
- Make a splash and visit the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. You’ll be amazed by over 100,000 aquatic animals and can enjoy a number of exciting interactive exhibits.
- Get your peanuts and cracker jacks ready for an unforgettable experience at a Braves game in Atlanta’s Truist Park, where the atmosphere is electric and the Southern hospitality is in full swing!
- Take a walk through the beautiful Atlanta Botanical Garden, featuring stunning displays of flowers and botanicals.
- Take in the views of the city from the top of the SkyView Ferris wheel with an unforgettable panoramic view located in the heart of downtown.
Distance from Birmingham: 2.5 hours
Which spot are you eyeing for your next summer vacay? Tag us @bhamnow and let us know!