Ready. Set. Go! It’s almost time to slip on those walking shoes to fight back against substance use disorder (SUD) during the 7th annual End Addiction BHAM Walk on Saturday, April 1 at CityWalk BHAM. Thousands join this important walk every year to honor their loved ones, get active and give back to the community. Will you join them? Help make change happen and register here.
1. It takes place at one of the coolest spots—CityWalk BHAM
Whether you’ve been to CityWalk BHAM or have yet to check it out, the End Addiction BHAM Walk is the perfect reason to visit. Why is it such a hotspot?
Located under the I-59/20 bridge, CityWalk is a 31-acre community park featuring a dog park, pickleball courts, skate park and more. With gorgeous green spaces and paved pathways, it’s the ultimate place for community events like the End Addiction BHAM Walk on Saturday, April 1.
2. You’ll be supporting a local organization doing BIG things
If a day outside at CityWalk BHAM isn’t enough of a reason to take part in the End Addiction BHAM Walk, the organization and cause behind the event are.
Leading the event is Addiction Prevention Coalition (APC), a compassionate local nonprofit that works hard to end the stigma around substance use disorder (SUD). Through mentoring, resources and education programs, APC goes a step above to help those struggling with addiction and their loved ones.
The End Addition BHAM Walk is APC’s largest annual fundraising campaign, bringing thousands together each year in an effort to spread awareness about the drug epidemic in Alabama.
3. You’ll help spread awareness + save lives
In 2022, there were 418 confirmed overdose deaths in Jefferson County with 27 still pending confirmation; 80% of these were related to fentanyl.
This is where YOU come in to help make change happen. Whether you sign up to raise funds or simply show up and walk, you’ll help spread awareness about the serious drug epidemic in Birmingham and beyond.
Another great way to spread awareness about the End Addiction BHAM Walk is through your social media outlets. Use #EndAddictionBham and tag @addictionpreventioncoalition in your posts and share your story about why you’re walking, who you’re walking for and how you are being part of the change.
Are you ready to fight back against substance use disorder in Birmingham? Register now for the End Addiction BHAM Walk.
4. It’s more than a walk
While walking is a large part of the End Addiction BHAM Walk, there is more to expect during the event. Here are some things to expect:
- Awards ceremony honoring top fundraisers and sponsors
- Access to local resources including Recovery Resource Center, Jefferson County Department of Health, The Moore Institute + Grief Resource
- Free Narcan training by Jefferson County Department of Health (everyone trained will receive a FREE package of Narcan)
- Free wellness checks + Hep C testing
- Live DJ + music
- Eats from local food trucks
You can also meet this year’s Champion of the Cause, the Honorable Maria Fortune—presiding Judge for Jefferson County’s Drug Court Program.
To honor those who have lost their battle with addiction, the End Addiction BHAM Walk will have an In Memory Activity where participants can write a loved one’s name on a strip of fabric with fluttering angel wings.
There will also be a Sober Circle where you can join fellow walkers and advocates to celebrate sobriety. Each Sober Circle member receives a “hope” token from APC.
How to participate
Do you want to take part in the End Addiction BHAM Walk on Saturday, April 1? It’s easy to get involved:
1. Register as an individual or Join a team and Fundraise to spread awareness. Registration is $25 and each registrant will receive a SWAG bag with an event T-shirt plus an “I’m Walking For” lanyard.
2. Walk. You don’t have to raise funds to join in. Just show up and join your fellow walkers—it’s free!
3. Donate directly to the cause.
BONUS: Friendly and leashed pets can attend the event! Just be sure to stay outside the CityWalk BHAM skate park—no pets are allowed in this space.
It’s time to fight back against substance use disorder in Birmingham. Register now for the End Addiction BHAM Walk.
- What: End Addiction Bham Walk
- When: Saturday, April 1 | Check-in/Registration – 10AM | Program Begins – 11AM
- Where: CityWalk BHAM Amphitheater, 9th Avenue & 21st Street, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Cost: Free to walk | $25 to raise funds and receive an event T-shirt + bracelet and “I’m Walking For” lanyard
- Register online until Thursday, March 30 | Registration is also available at the event
- Donate to Addiction Prevention Coalition
To learn more about Addiction Prevention Coalition, visit their website and follow them on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.