There’s a new chicken joint in town. We headed to the new Waldo’s Chicken & Beer in Cahaba Heights—the first Alabama location of a popular scratch-made chicken restaurant. Keep reading to find out what’s clucking.
All about Waldo’s Chicken
This is the first Waldo’s Chicken location in Alabama, but the restaurant has roots in Birmingham. According to Vestavia Voice, the original Waldo’s Chicken was founded in Tennessee two years ago by Mark Waldo, a Homewood native. Mark is the grandson of the late Dr. Frank Waldo, founder of Mayfair Medical Group.
This August, Spain Park graduate Casey Atherton is bringing Waldo’s Chicken to Cahaba Heights.
“I want to bring people to the dinner table. I can’t wait to see parents and kids sitting here laughing, eating incredible scratch-made food with good music on and Alabama, Auburn and UAB football on the TVs. That’s what this is all about.”Casey Atherton, Partner, Waldo’s Chicken
- Location: 3009 Pump House Road, Vestavia Hills, AL 35249
- Hours: Monday-Friday 11AM-9PM | Saturday-Sunday 10:30AM-9PM
- Website | Facebook | Instagram
On the menu
Atherton told me that everything in Waldo’s is scratch-made—they don’t even have freezers! Waldo’s Chicken includes two styles of chicken—Southern fried with a buttermilk and seasoned breading or fire-roasted with a brown sugar brine and roasted with butter, garlic and parsley.
Something that sets Waldo’s apart is that they use thighs—dark meat with a deep, rich flavor.
Here’s a look at a few options on the menu:
- Hand-breaded Southern-fried chicken tenders with sauces
- The O.G.—fried chicken sandwich with fried thigh, pickles, lettuce + mayo
- The Roost—fire-roasted chicken, pickles + Alabama White sauce
- Fowl Mouth—fried thigh, habanero oil, cheddar, jalapeño slaw, mayo + comeback sauce (Atherton’s favorite)
- Salads with fried + rotisserie chicken
- Cheddar biscuits with honey butter
- Scratch-made sides like mac and cheese
In addition to the food menu, you’ll be able to choose from 20+ beers, including plenty of local options.
“Everything is fresh, and we’ll have a cool bar scene, games on TV and funky artwork on the walls.”Casey Atherton, Partner, Waldo’s Chicken
Welcome to Cahaba Heights!
When I asked Atherton why he chose to come back to Birmingham and bring Waldo’s with him, he had a resounding answer: Birmingham is home.
“It’s a very tight-knit awesome community in the height of suburbia in Birmingham. We couldn’t be more excited to be in Cahaba Heights and put our foundation in Birmingham.”Casey Atherton, Partner, Waldo’s Chicken
PS—even more Waldo’s Chicken shops are on the way to Birmingham. Stay tuned.
What will YOU order? Tag @BhamNow on social to let us know!