Birmingham is constantly ranking in “best of” lists—best places to go in 2022, best waffles, best new restaurants and best chefs in the South. Now, once again, the U.S. News & World Report named UAB Hospital the best hospital in Alabama with eight highly-ranked specialties. Keep reading for the details.
The best hospital in Alabama 👏
UAB Hospital was named the best hospital in Alabama once again, but it doesn’t stop there. Eight adult specialties at UAB are ranked among the best in the nation.
8 highly-ranked specialties
- Obstetrics and gynecology at No. 5
- Rheumatology at No. 10
- Rehabilitation at No. 20
- Ear, nose and throat at No. 22
- Cardiology/heart surgery at No. 31
- Geriatrics at No. 36
- Diabetes and endocrinology at No. 40
- Pulmonology/lung surgery at No. 50
About the ranking
U.S. News has released a yearly report of the best hospitals since 1990 to guide patients and doctors to the best care options. The U.S. News team start with 4,500 hospitals in the U.S., then analyzes them based on four elements:
- Outcomes (including survival rate + the rate at which patients can return home)
- Patient experience
- Care-related factors (intensity of nurse staffing + breadth of patient services)
- Expert opinion obtained through the physician survey
More: Dive deeper into the U.S. News & World Report’s rankings and ratings.
Other local hospitals on the list 👇
Ascension St. Vincent’s Birmingham ranked as the third best hospital in Alabama with “high performing” grades in seven procedures and conditions. Children’s of Alabama ranked #1 in the Southeast and state in the U.S. for best children’s hospitals.
For more news like this, follow Bham Now on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn. Plus, sign up for our FREE newsletter for updates in your inbox every day.