Calling Alabama artists! The Economic Development Partnership of Alabama (EDPA) is hosting a social media contest to design a new mural, which will be displayed inside their office building in downtown Birmingham. The prize? $500 and bragging rights. Keep reading to learn more about the contest & how to enter!
Imagine Alabama Mural Contest
Imagine Alabama. Then imagine $500 in your pocket.
Inside the EDPA office building in downtown Birmingham, countless leaders from across the state, country and even the world have gathered to help drive economic development throughout Alabama. The building is home to numerous initiatives and programs, such as Alabama Launchpad—the most active private seed funding entity in the state.
To kick off 2022 in style, the EDPA is looking to add new vibrancy to their office—and what better way to do that than with a mural? Eligible Alabama artists (see below) can create a work of art inspired by the phrase “Imagine Alabama”, and the winning design will be displayed on a 10’w x 12’h wall within the EDPA office building in downtown Birmingham!
How to Enter the Imagine Alabama Mural Contest
Feeling the creative juices flowing? Here’s everything you need to know about the contest.
When can I enter the Imagine Alabama Mural Contest?
- Submissions Open — January 4, 2022
- Submission Deadline — February 4, 2022
- Finalists Chosen — February 11, 2022
- Social Media Competition — February 11-18, 2022
- Winner Announced — February 21, 2022
- Artwork Installed — March 2022
- Artwork Debuted — April 2022
Where will the mural be displayed?
The winning design will be displayed on a 10’w x 12’h wall within the EDPA office building in downtown Birmingham. You can view reference images of the wall here.
Who can enter?
Students aged 18-24 who are enrolled at an Alabama college or university.
What is the prize?
The winner will receive $500 in cash and have their artwork printed and installed as a mural in the Economic Development Partnership of Alabama office where it will be seen by visiting leaders from local, state, national and international organizations.
- Avoid depictions of well-known figures, especially those still living.
- Avoid overtly political messages or depictions of political parties or figures.
- While open to all types of artistic media, avoid simple, single-subject photography.
- Avoid depictions of drugs, alcohol, nudity, violence and profanity.
- Avoid submissions that focus on only one aspect of Alabama or that don’t speak to everyone.
- The words “Imagine Alabama” do NOT have to be included in your submitted artwork.
- Make sure to submit your artwork following the proscribed formats. Submissions with incorrect formatting will be disqualified.
- Focus on positive or hopeful aspects of Alabama. Your artwork should represent the best of what Alabama has been, is, or can become.
- Avoid company logos and other trademarked or copyrighted symbols or images.
- Original artwork can be created however you want, but final submission must be in a digital format that can be printed at quality resolution.
Submit Your Design Today
Ready to start creating? Click here to submit your design to the Imagine Alabama Mural Contest.
Since the winning design will be printed and displayed on a 10’w x 12’h wall, the EDPA recommends all artists create their artwork at roughly 12,000 pixels by 14,400 pixels. For submission, please upload a resized 6,000 pixel by 7,200 pixel JPG of your design.
In addition, the EDPA asks that artists provide an additional text document with the artist’s statement, contact information and school or affiliation to Alabama. Please name your submission files like the following example: yourname-nameofartwork.jpg
Planning to enter the EDPA Imagine Alabama Mural Contest? Tag us @bhamnow with your designs!