“Behind every great man is a great woman.” You’ve heard the expression before. But on Wednesday, May 12, YWCA Central Alabama is turning the tables with YW Allies—an all-new event honoring local men who stand behind their mission and advocate for gender and/or racial equality for women. Psst! Mayor Woodfin is just one of the people being honored. Read on to find out who else made the list. RSVP here.
What: YW Allies 2021 honors men in Central Alabama who have advocated for gender and/or racial equality in their company, community or with YWCA Central Alabama.
When: Wednesday, May 12, 6-8PM
Where: Avondale Brewing Company, 201 41st St S, Birmingham, AL 35222
Price: $10 minimum donation to one of the YW Allies’ campaigns.
Behind YWCA Central Alabama
I’m sure you’ve heard the name YWCA before, but there is much more to know about this important organization. Here are some must-know facts:
- YWCA Central Alabama is one of the Associations of the YWCA (Young Women’s Christian Association)—a social justice organization dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice freedom and dignity for all.
- Since its start in 1903, the organization has worked at the intersection of race and gender equity and provided programs and services designed to address systemic disparities.
Some of their services include:
- Affordable Housing
- Child Development Center
- Domestic Violence Services
- Economic Empowerment Workforce Development
- Family Resource Center in Woodlawn
- My Sister’s Closet re-sale boutique
- Social Justice and Advocacy
- WE360 Entrepreneurship Program
The importance of YW Allies
The 10 honorees of YWCA Central Alabama’s YW Allies event on Wednesday, May 12. Photos via YWCA Central Alabama
While YWCA Central Alabama has helped in the progress around women’s issues for more than a decade, there is still much work to be done. To make YWCA’s mission possible, they need partners like YW Allies to join them in their fight for gender and racial equality. Happily, there are many across Central Alabama—many of whom are men.
“We have long known that in order for real change to happen, everyone must be at the table. We are excited to be able to honor these 10 incredible men who have stepped up to use their influence in order to ensure that we are moving towards a more equitable world.”Dr. LaRhonda Magras, YWCA Central Alabama, CEO
So who are these mighty men willing to stand up as allies for women and YWCA Central Alabama? Here’s a look at the honorees of YW Allies 2021 taking place on Wednesday, May 12:
- Joe Hampton—President, Spire Alabama and Mississippi
- Dr. Anthony Hood—Executive Vice President & Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer, First Horizon Banks
- Deon Gordon—CEO & President, TechBirmingham
- Robert Kelly—Founder, Kelly RoadBuilders, Kelly Natural Gas Pipeline & Kelly Underground
- Phillippe Lathrop—Vice President & Wealth Management Advisor, Merrill Lynch
- Marcus Maples—Business Litigation Sttorney, Baker Donelson
- Jeh Jeh Pruitt—Sports Anchor & Reporter, WBRC Fox6
- Paul Shunnarah—Founder & Owner, Gauntlet Fitness
- Jamie Waters—Project Engineer, Southern Company
- Mayor Randall Woodfin—Honorary YW Ally
RSVP to YW Allies 2021 taking place at Avondale Brewing Company on Wednesday, May 12 from 6-8PM. A $10 minimum donation to one of the YW Allies’ campaigns is requested.
Join YWCA Central Alabama for YW Allies, May 12
Are you ready to join YWCA Central Alabama as they honor local men who advocate for women? Take part in YW Allies 2021 on Wednesday, May 12 from 6-8PM at Avondale Brewing Company. RSVP—they’d love to know you’re coming. A $10 minimum donation to one of the YW Allies’ campaigns is requested.
Want to learn more about YWCA Central Alabama and how they’re helping women and their families? Visit their website and follow them on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.