Read Time 2 Minutes
Are you ready to celebrate empowerment? Take part in the 2021 Virtual A.G. Gaston Conference taking place Tuesday, February 23-Wednesday, February 24 in Birmingham. Read on for details on this year’s event, plus how to register.
A.G. Gaston Conference: what is it
The A.G. conference is a two-day event for business owners, educators, community leaders, elected officials and anyone passionate about African American economic empowerment. It serves as a platform where accomplished leaders and business owners can share their experiences. It also serves as a place for participants to learn and develop better business practices while inspiring the next generation. Due to COVID-19, this year’s conference will be virtual.
Who is A.G. Gaston?
The conference is inspired by the life and legacy of Arthur George. A.G. Gaston was a successful businessman in Alabama during the Jim Crow era. Gaston amassed a fortune worth over $40M from a business empire spanning communications, real estate and insurance.
He is also the mastermind behind the A.G. Gaston Motel, Citizen Federal Savings & Loan, Booker T. Washington Broadcasting and more located in the heart of downtown Birmingham.
- What: 2021 Virtual A.G. Gaston Conference
- When: Tuesday, February 23-Wednesday, February 24 | 9-11:30AM
- Where: Virtual live stream
- Price: FREE/Open to the public
- Register here
What to expect during this year’s conference
- Hear from featured speakers.
- Discover the recipients of the 2021 A.G. Gaston Award.
- Be empowered by accomplished leaders and business owners.
2021 A.G. Gaston Award Recipients
Each year, the conference hands out A.G. Gaston Awards to selected recipients. The award recognizes:
- Individuals and corporations who use resources to meet the needs of the community.
- Individuals and corporations that have distinguished themselves as champions working tirelessly to benefit others.
This year, Regions Bank and Renasant Bank will receive the award.
“It is with great honor and pride that we accept this award named for a truly remarkable business leader and advocate, Dr. A.G. Gaston.
It is our humble honor to accept the A.G. Gaston Award in recognition of the success we have found with our partners, but the job of community and economic development is never done. We look forward to continuing on this journey to improve the financial well-being of the communities we serve.”Mitch Waycaster, President and CEO, Renasant Bank
This year, the A.G. Gaston Conference will feature a mighty list of speakers, including:
- Dedrick Asante-Muhammad: chief of Race, Weather and Community of the National Community Reinvestment Coalition
- Marc Morial: president and CEO of the National Urban League
- Maggie Anderson: co-founder of The Empowerment Experiment
- Shelly Bell: serial entrepreneur and founder of Black Girl Ventures