Turn on your listening ears and prepare for all the holiday feels as Birmingham Boys Choir serenades you during their 43rd Annual Christmas Concert—Virtual Edition on Friday, December 18 at 7PM. Read on for why you should tune in to this free concert (plus upcoming Community Caroling events!) with some of the best voices in Birmingham. Support Birmingham Boys Choir by donating here.
Who is the Birmingham Boys Choir?
Yes, the Birmingham Boys Choir is a boys choir in Birmingham, but there is much more to this group than singing. Here are some cool things to know:
- The Birmingham Boys Choir is a non-profit, civic organization built with the purpose of allowing talented boys in the Greater Birmingham Area the opportunity to fully develop their musical gifts.
- Members are trained in a number of areas including: music theory and vocal technique, sight singing with a group and individually.
- Music Director Ken Berg has led the Birmingham Boys Choir since 1978. He is a published composer and music educator.
- The Birmingham Boys Choir is made up of several ensembles with boys in grades 3-12.
What to Expect During the Concert
As soon as November hits, does holiday music take over your stereo? Sure, Run Rudolph Run and Rockin’ Round the Christmas Tree may turn any Grinch’s frown upside down, but it’s the true Christmas carols that really make you feel the magic of the season. And, during the Birmingham Boys Choir’s Annual Christmas Concert—Virtual Edition, beloved Christmas carols and anthems are just what’s in store.
“There is so much fear and turmoil in our world this season, and especially in our own country right now. Traditions such as these provide for us as a society to have an anchor to keep us remembering the true Reason for the Season and the peace, hope, joy and love that Advent and Christmas can provide.”Ken Berg, Music Director, Birmingham Boys Choir
- What: 43rd Annual Christmas Concert, Virtual Edition
- When: Friday, December 18 at 7PM
- Price: Free
- Where to watch: Tune in to Birmingham Boys Choir’s website here.
- Donate to the Birmingham Boys Choir.
Safety Precautions for the Birmingham Boys Choirs’ Choristers
While you’re singing along to awe-inspiring Christmas music from the Birmingham Boys Choir, how are choir members staying safe?
The Birmingham Boys Choir has a total of 140 performers taking part in this year’s virtual Christmas Concert—a number much too large to be in close proximity to each other during this time.
So, in order to keep choristers as safe as possible, the Birmingham Boys Choir’s staff and board of directors have closely monitored research studies about singing and the best practices to follow.
To rehearse for this year’s Christmas Concert, choristers wore masks and followed social distancing protocols of 9-12 feet. They also had their temperatures tested regularly, took frequent breaks to allow practice rooms to regenerate air and were required to quarantine after any exposure to COVID-19.
Also, instead of all choristers gathering together to perform on December 18, the Christmas Concert was pre-recorded in order to adhere to safety and social distancing guidelines.
Tune in here to the 43rd Annual Christmas Concert—Virtual Edition on Friday, December 18 at 7PM.
Don’t miss these upcoming events with Birmingham Boys Choir
Can’t wait to hear the Birmingham Boys Choir perform all the Christmas classics during their virtual Christmas Concert on December 18? I have some great news for you. The Birmingham Boys Choir will perform live in a number of upcoming Community Caroling events this December—and it all leads up to the BIG virtual Christmas Concert on Friday, December 18.
Here’s where and when to check out these upcoming caroling events:
- Our Savior Lutheran Church, 1074 Dunnavant Valley Rd, Birmingham, AL 35242
| Monday, December 14 from 5:30-6:15PM
- Saint Luke’s Episcopal Church, 3736 Montrose Rd, Mountain Brook, AL 35213 | Tuesday, December 15 from 5:30-6:15PM
*Each Community Caroling event is outdoors and free to the public. Be sure to wear a mask and expect social distancing.
Set your calendar and tune in!
Treat yourself to an early Christmas gift—tune in to the Birmingham Boys Choir’s 43rd Annual Christmas Concert—Virtual Edition on Friday, December 18 at 7PM. To watch, visit the Birmingham Boys Choir’s website here.
To stay in the know on what’s happening with the Birmingham Boys Choir, check out their website and follow them on Facebook and Instagram.