Read Time 3 Minutes
Today is a big day not just because we’re voting in a general election (!!!), but also because it’s National Sandwich Day. The best sandwiches in Birmingham might not be top of mind right now, but save this post for a rainy day and thank us later.
We recently asked for sandwich recommendations on Facebook and got an overwhelming response. Here are seven places that were mentioned more than a few times + what to order at each:
1. The Garage
The Garage is a hidden gem in Birmingham. It’s tucked away off 23rd Street South in Highland Park and is one of the best spots to get a sandwich in town. They have limited indoor seating, but a secret garden-esque outdoor patio that’s a great hang day or night.
- What to order: The Fritz | Everything but the kitchen sink…
- Address: 2304 10th Terrace S, Birmingham, AL 35205
- 205.322.220 | Facebook
2. Ranelli’s Deli & Cafe
“Anything at Ranelli’s deli,” was a popular response to our sandwich recommendations post. You’ve likely passed by driving towards Downtown through Five Points South on 20th Street, so consider this your sign to finally stop and check it out. Ranelli’s is family-owned and operated, and they’ve been serving some of Birmingham’s best sandwiches for nearly 50 years—so they must be doing something right.
- What to order: The Richman’s Po-Boy | Ham, corned beef, peppered beef, Genoa salami, pastrami, swiss, provolone, mustard, and Ranelli’s olive salad on fresh Italian bread
- Address: 1225 20th St S, Birmingham, AL 35205
- 205.933.6983 | Website
3. Diplomat Deli
Diplomat Deli AKA The Dip has been a go-to spot for delicious sandwiches in Vestavia since 1982. Their menu has a mix of unique and classic sandwiches, and you can dine-in with indoor or patio seating or take your grub to go. They also offer catering and boxed lunches for events or corporate needs.
- What to order: The Senator | Turkey breast, bacon, Havarti cheese, sliced egg, tomato, sprouts, thousand island, and mayo on wheat bread
- Address: 1425 Montgomery Hwy, Vestavia Hills, AL 35216
- 205.979.1515 | Website
4. Mr. P’s Butcher Shop & Deli
The Pilleteri Family has been in the Butcher Shop & Deli Business since 1934, and Mr. P’s is a staple in Birmingham’s sandwich scene. They serve delicious deli sandwiches and offer fresh cuts of cold deli meats and cheeses so you can take the goodness home with you.
- What to order: The Justino | 1/2 lb. smoked turkey, Pilleteri’s Bold & Spicy Seasoning, pepper jack cheese, 2 strips of bacon, Pilleteri’s Honey Mustard on honey wheat bun
- Address: 813 Shades Crest Road, Birmingham, AL 35226
- 205.823.6136 | Website
5. Brick & Tin
A BIG favorite according to responders on our post was Brick & Tin—specifically The Brisket Sandwich. I can confirm it is one of the best on their menu, and arguably one of the best in Birmingham. Currently, their Downtown location is closed but you can dine-in, order curbside or get this mouth-watering menu item delivered from their Mountain Brook location.
- What to order: The Brisket Sandwich | Braised beef brisket, caramelized onions and white bbq sauce on pain de mie flatbread
- Address: 2901 Cahaba Road, Birmingham, AL 35223
- 205.502.7971 | Website
6. T-Bones Authentic Philly Style Cheesesteaks And Hoagies
This wouldn’t be a sandwich guide without T-Bones. It’s no secret they have some of the best Philly Cheesesteaks around, and if you haven’t given them a try, now’s the time. Their menu features cheesesteaks, hoagies, specialty sandwiches, burgers, loaded fries, and so much more. Are you drooling yet?
- What to order: The Famous on ‘Shrooms | Grilled lean sirloin steak, onions, ‘Shrooms, and white American cheese
- Address: 1017 20th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35205
- 205.502.7971 | Website
7. Kool Korner Sandwiches
If you’re on the hunt for a good Cuban sandwich in Birmingham, look no further than Kool Korner Sandwiches in Vestavia. The shop is family-owned and operated, and offers a range of sandwich options along with more Cuban fare. Follow them on Facebook for updates on hours and curbside service.
- What to order: The Cuban | Pork roasted Cuban style, ham, swiss cheese, mayo, mustard and dill pickles, on Cuban style bread
- Address: 1360 Montgomery Hwy Vestavia Hills, AL 35216
- 205.822.4406 | Website