Read Time 2 Minutes
COVID has hit the theatre world hard, but as the saying goes, the show must go on. Check out The University of Montevallo’s exciting new addition—a brand-new Center for the Arts facility.
The facility, which spans 36,750 square feet, will be home to the university’s Theatre Department, which has over 115 majors, including Acting, Musical Theatre and Design/Technology. You can find it at the intersection of Oak Street and North Boundary Street.
Prepare to be wowed. Here’s what the new center features:
- 2 performance venues
- Art gallery
- Digital Fabrication Lab
- Design labs with animation software
- Multiple classrooms
- Theatre faculty offices
- Vocal performance rehearsal rooms
- Dance studio
- State-of-the-art production shops
- Sculpture garden
- Outdoor commons area
- Adjacent ground-level parking
Wowee! Where was this incredible center when I was a University of Montevallo student?!
Safety Precautions for Students
Opening the performing arts center in the midst of COVID-19 was no easy task, but the University was able to make it happen—with some adaptations, of course. Here are some safety precautions they’ve taken:
- Increased hand sanitizer stations.
- Rearranged lobby furniture to create a space that is more open and safe.
- Designed courses to incorporate online learning options and hybrid in-person/online options.
- Classrooms and work spaces are cleaned and sanitized between use.
In-Person Productions and Performances
In regards to in-person productions and performances at the Center for the Arts, shows are currently on hold until the threat of COVID-19 subsides.
But don’t worry, the Theatre Department has some plans ahead. Here are two things to expect this fall:
- Virtual guest artist workshops with professional set and costume designers, actors and casting directors for students.
- Outdoor, staged play readings.
Looking ahead to the spring semester, the Theatre Department has plans to present two productions—one musical and one play. Both will be on-stage productions and will instill safety guidelines.