We wanted to take a moment to thank some places at The Summit Birmingham for all the good memories, and let you know what new things are coming, including #SummitPup. Keep reading for all the details.
But first, meet #SummitPup
This sweet puppy showed up on The Summit’s Facebook page at the end of June and apparently was quite the hit. Not only did he do a social media takeover, but he also made a lot of new friends.
A little nostalgia
I *still* remember the first time my family went to another city with an outdoor shopping center. Raised on Eastwood and Brookwood Malls here in Birmingham, that was a whole new experience for my wide-eyed high school self. I thought it was about the coolest thing ever, walking from shop to shop—outside.
Then, in 1997, The Summit came to Birmingham and we had our very own outdoor shopping mall. It was such an exciting place to go eat dinner with my family when I’d come home to visit. Years later, there’s still something exciting about heading up there, whether it’s to pick something up at Trader Joe’s or to grab a bite to eat.
Time to say goodbye
So I was a little sad when I heard from our friends at The BBJ that a number of familiar standbys at The Summit are moving on. Signs o’ the times…
- California Pizza Kitchen—we loved your pizzas and salads and are grateful for all the memories .
- Cowfish—my kids loved some jalapeño sliders one of your chefs made at a local farmers market, and friends raved about how good your food was.
- Tumi—my colleague will miss you and all your amazing luggage offerings.
- Brooks Brothers—Brooks Brothers, after 200 years, we get that the need for business suits has gone down in an era where working at home makes everything more casual. But man. We’re glad you’ll still be online, and last time we checked, there were some pretty sweet sales happening right now. We’ll miss you at The Summit.
- Sur la Table—oh, how fun it was to browse all the fancy kitchen things on your shelves. We’re sad Birmingham made the cut list, but we totally understand. We’ll look forward to checking you out online or visiting you in other cities when travel is a thing again.
Make new friends but keep the old
We reached out to the folks at The Summit to find out what shops and restaurants are coming down the pike, and here’s what we learned:
- Battle Republic is planning to open their second location at The Summit in early fall.
- North Italia is coming to the space where Sephora used to be. You’ll be able to get scratch-made Italian favorites for lunch or dinner at the first Alabama location of this modern Italian neighborhood restaurant. (Sephora lovers, don’t worry—if you haven’t been there for a while, you’ll still find Sephora over by Trader Joe’s.)
- Soon, Cowfish’s former home will turn into something new that customers can enjoy. Watch this space.
In the meantime, make plans to attend these safe events at The Summit
In addition to new shopping and eating experiences at The Summit, you can check out these events:
- Look for monthly automobile experiences in partnership with Magic City Octane—a group that exists to unite Birmingham’s car company.
- When: 2nd Saturday of each month
- Where: in the Saks parking lot + in-store activations including trunk shows, discounts, special shopping hours + more
- Look for a full-family experience thanks to Mobley & Sons, Anthony Vince Nail Spa, Village Tavern, Flemings + Panera
- The SWEAT fitness series will give you a chance to get healthy with others outside. You know, in case August wasn’t hot enough for you already.
- When: August (search here for dates + times)
- Where: on a safe + socially-distanced rooftop
- Finally, did you hear? Three restaurants at The Summit were recognized with Awards for Excellence by Wine Spectator. So, if you want to try some fine wine, check out these favorites: