Read Time 4 Minutes
There was a dark time in everyone’s life where they didn’t eat salad, because it was “boring.” For any of your overly picky friends who still feel that way, point them in the direction of these mouthwatering creations from Birmingham restaurants. Seriously, we might have the best tasting (and looking!) salads in the nation.
Before we dive in, I should let you know about our database featuring over 520 local businesses. It’s where I found some of these restaurants and you can sign yours up today to be featured in future guides like this one.
*NOTE: Restaurant hours, dine-in capability, and other factors may be affected by COVID-19 regulations. Make sure to call ahead to confirm they are open and offering dine-in, delivery or takeout.
1. Red Sea Ethiopian and Mediterranean Restaurant
- Our pick: Shawarma Salad—Beef Gyro or Chicken Shawarma, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, topped with chunks of feta cheese, black olives and house dressing.
- Hours: Open for dine-in Tuesday-Sunday 11AM-9PM
- Call (205) 848-5154 | Menu
2. Chez Fon Fon
- Our pick: Shrimp and avocado salad with sauce rémoulade.
- Hours: Curbside service Tuesday-Saturday, 11:30AM-8PM
- Call 205-939-3221 to order | Curbside Menu
3. Brick & Tin
- Our pick: Summer salad—Alabama grown heirloom tomatoes, field peas, cucumber & heirloom cherry tomatoes with balsamic vinaigrette & basil
- Hours: Curbside service Monday-Saturday 11AM-8PM (Mountain Brook location only)
- Call (205) 502-7971 or order online | Curbside Menu
4. Bayles Catering and Restaurant
- Our pick: Chef salad pictured above (order by request)
- Hours: Monday-Friday 6:30AM-2:00PM | Sunday 11AM-4PM
- Call 205-538-5101 | Menu
5. Slice Pizza and Brew
- Our pick: The Spring Berry Salad— spring mix loaded with blueberries, strawberries, goat cheese, toasted sunflower seeds, shaved red onions, toasted walnuts and topped with a blueberry ginger vinaigrette
- Hours: Dine-in service Sunday-Thursday 11AM-9PM | Friday-Saturday 11AM-10:30PM
- Call (205) 715-9300 | Menu
6. Bitty’s Living Kitchen
- Our pick: Bitty’s PeekABoo Salad—Bitty’s house blend, cucumbers, tomatoes, red bell peppers, roasted corn, macerated mushrooms, pickled red onions, and sesame miso dressing
- Hours: Online ordering only
- Call (205) 326-0025 | Menu
7. Bamboo on Second
- Our pick: Spicy Pork Salad—grilled pork, peanuts, onions, ginger, mint, cilantro with a house citrus dressing.
- Hours: Curbside service Monday-Saturday 5-8PM
- Call (205) 703-0551 to order| Curbside Menu
8. Garmaja’ Catering Company
- Our pick: Salmon salad pictured above
- Hours: Delivery only, check Facebook for your time to order
- Call (205) 240-2879 | Menu
9. Ashley Mac’s
- Our pick: Chopped blt—romaine, bacon, cherry tomatoes, green onions, bleu cheese, blt dressing
- Hours: Vary by the restaurant, check website for your preferred location
10. Lé Fresca
- Our pick: Octopus and new potato salad (be adventurous!)
- Hours: Dine-in service starting Tuesday, June 16th, Tuesday-Saturday 11-2PM & 4-9PM
- Call 205-593-4241 to make a reservation | Menu
11. Back Forty Beer Company
- Our pick: Kale salad, pairs well with beer 😉 -Curly kale, green cabbage, jalapenos, parmesan cheese, mint, cilantro, and peanuts. All of that is tossed in an Asian vinaigrette.
- Hours: Curbside and dine-out in the beer garden Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 11AM-9PM | Friday-Saturday 11AM-10PM(kitchen closes at 9)
- Call (205) 407-8025 | Menu
12. Homewood Gourmet
- Our pick: Baby Blue Salad- mixed greens, mandarin oranges, strawberries, blue cheese, spiced pecans and honey-balsamic vinaigrette
- Hours: Curbside pickup Monday-Friday 10:30AM-5:00PM |Saturday 8:00AM-2:00pm
- Call 1-205-871-1620| Order Online
13. Fancy’s on Fifth
- Our pick: Lobster Cobb Salad-this beauty isn’t always on their menu but it has rave reviews from patrons. Until it’s back on rotation, choose another delicious salad like their Salmon Salad.
- Hours: Open for dine-in Tuesday-Saturday 4-9PM
- Call 205-834-2366 for a reservation | Menu
Honorable mention: Hot and Hot Fish Club
Although Hot and Hot Fish Club has not reopened yet, you can find owner Chris Hasting’s statement here, we’d be remiss if their famous tomato salad didn’t make the list. For those who haven’t tried it, add the specialty to your post-quarantine bucket list now.
The summertime staple, which comes with fried okra as well, features a beautiful tower of heirloom tomato slices, marinated field peas and corn, and crispy bacon and seasoned with chive dressing.