Things are getting spicy in Hoover with the opening of Cajun Roux Bar and Grill. If you love seafood, you’ll devour the details below.
It’s been less than a week since Cajun Roux opened its doors on May 26 in Hoover’s Stadium Trace Village. So far, the reviews are excellent.
As you can see, seafood fans around Birmingham were in need of a new food escape.
The restaurant is owned by Jeff Thompson who opened the original location of Cajun Steamer Bar and Grill in Hoover’s Patton Creek Shopping Center and also Trussville.
A Bayou Menu
The Cajun Roux menu is heavily seafood oriented with tons of choices like:
- Seafood platters (shrimp or oyster)
- Po’ Boys (shrimp, cat, fish, grouper, etc.)
- Grilled, blackened or fried fish
- Oysters (raw or chargrilled)
Burgers, wings and salads can also be found on the menu.
A taste of the wild
If your taste pallet is adventurous, you’ll be intrigued by many of Cajun and Roux’s starters, such as:
- Gator Bites ($14): gator tail meat blacked/fried and served with cocktail sauce.
- Armadillo eggs ($10): bacon-wrapped sausage stuffed with Jalapeños and cream cheese.
As good as the starters and larger entrees sound, the sides actually caught my attention. Smoked gouda grits anyone? Others include:
- Sea salt and pepper fries
- Fried squash
- Roasted Brussel sprouts
- Sweet corn hushpuppies
- Mac and cheese
For kids, head to the “Little Swamp Critters” section of the menu. You’ll find easy-to-please basics like popcorn shrimp, chicken fingers and grilled cheese—all for under $10.
Big Whiskeys will be next to open at Trace Stadium in Hoover. The grand opening is expected in July. Full story here.