Summer is here, which means it’s time to hit the pool. There are lots of places around Birmingham offering swimming lessons for kids and adults, so dive into this guide for info on where to sign up.
1. Alabama Swim School
For master swim instructions, check out the Alabama Swim School led by renowned swim instructor Raphael Cadena. From learning to blow bubbles underwater to mastering swim strokes, all programs cater to each child’s individual needs and abilities.
Programs offered include:
- Baby’s Safe (8-24 months): Teaches the two most important things when swimming: how to turn onto your back while in the water and how to swim to the side of the pool.
- Preschool 1&2 (Ages 3-4):
- Preschool I: Designed to be an introductory course for kids ages 3-4 years. Teaches basic water adaptation skills such as putting your face in water, holding your breath and assisted floating and breathing.
- Preschool 2: Teaches kids ages 3+ to become more independent swimmers. Designed for kids who has some experience in the water and are capable of placing their face in the water.
- Adults/Triathletes/Masters: Professional coaching and instruction on the latest techniques and methods of skill development in each of the four competitive strokes, as well as tailored and specific work on starts, turns, and finishes.
Price: Private Lessons – $35 per child | Buddy Lesson (2 children) – $60 | Group Class (3 or more kids, same age group) – $25
2. Swim Like Fish
Want to learn to swim like a fish? Then I have the recommendation for you—Swim Like Fish Swim School.
Taught by Keri Cartee in Homewood, individuals of all ages are taught to become strong, confident swimmers, learning a number of important skills, including:
- Comfort in the Water
- Correct Swim Position
- Correct Breathing Techniques
- Water Safety
- Stroke Development
- Floating & Treading Water
- Endurance Swimming
Swim classes offered this summer include:
- Baby Swim (6 months-2 years, parent/child)
- 3-4 year old swim
- 4-5 year old swim
- 5-7 year old swim
Available Sessions: June 1-4 | June 8-11 | June 15-18 | June 22-25 | June 29-July 2 | July 6-9 | July 13-16 | July 27-30
Registration full? Add your name to the wait list!
Privates lessons are also available. These lessons are great for:
- Kids over age 8
- A child or adult with a disability or specific need
- All adults learning to swim
- Adults wanting to learn or improve their strokes.
For private lessons, sign up here.
3. Mountainview Aquatic Club
If you live in Gardendale, Mountainview Aquatic Club offers children’s swimming lessons in a fun, family-friendly atmosphere.
Food trucks like Kona Ice often visits the pool, too, which is perfect for a post-lesson treat.
Dates Available: June 15-18 + June 22 -25
Price: $60 per child
Local Swim Teachers
Another option for swim lessons is to sign up with locals teachers around Birmingham. Here are two to consider:
4. Adair Klapow
This will be Klapow’s fourth summer teaching swimming lessons to kids around the Greater Birmingham Area. Lessons are located in the Oak Mountain area and one-on-one for kids 18 months to 10 years.
She is also taking extra precautions due to the COVID-19 pandemic, such as allowing 15 minutes between lessons to sanitize all shared surfaces.
Spots are filling up quick, so hurry and sign up!
Price: $30 per half hour
5. Jennifer Simpkins-Dussich
If you own a pool, this local swim teacher will come directly to you. Talk about a nice change of pace, am I right parents?
Dusch will travel to the following areas:
- Mountain Brook
- Oak Mountain
- And more!
Lessons are available to kids age two years and up and including those with special needs.
To sign up for lessons, just send a text to the number below.
Price: Varies by location/How many kids students
Contact: Text 205.283.4057