If there’s one thing social distancing has granted us, it’s time at home. Lots and lots of time at home. This being said, now is the perfect time to do some spring cleaning. Best part is, you can find tons of great items to donate to those in need. Here’s a look at how, where and who is accepting donations in Birmingham.
1. The Lovelady Center
The Lovelady Center strives to help women rebuild their lives and continue forward with faith-driven hope for the future as a contributing member of the community.
Through the Lovelady Program, every woman is taught how to overcome barriers to success by providing access to needed services.
Due to COVID-19, The Lovelady Thrift Store located in Irondale and Clay are currently closed. However, donations are still doable.
Items needed fall into the follow categories:
- Baby diapers + hygiene items
- Transportation + vehicle maintenance
- Hygiene and personal items
- Full size + twin bedding
- Office supplies
- OTC medicine and medical supplies
Monetary donations are also welcome.
2. King’s Home
Through Christ-centered homes and services that combine compassion and competence, King’s Home serves youth, women and mothers with children who are at risk.
Click here to schedule a pickup donation.
King’s Home also have many drop off bins located around the greater Birmingham area. Find them here:
- Whole Foods Market. 3100 Cahaba Village Plaza, Birmingham, AL 35243
- Mountain Brook Community Church. 3001 US-280, Birmingham, AL 35243
- Lowe’s Home Improvement.375 State Farm Parkway, Homewood, AL 35209
- Citgo. 3300 Crestwood Blvd, Irondale, AL 35210
- Canterbury United Methodist Church. 350 Overbrook Rd, Mountain Brook, AL 35213
- Cahaba Heights Baptist Church. 3800 Crosshaven Dr, Vestavia Hills, AL 35243
Monetary donations are also accepted.
3. The Salvation Army
“Doing the most good.” This sums up the mission of The Salvation Army of Greater Birmingham. Here’s a sampling of the good they’re doing:
- Adult rehabilitation
- Community assistance
- Emergency housing
- Family housing
- Family stores
The Salvation Army’s Family Stores are always accepting donations, so gather that clothing, housewares and more and donate.
To schedule a donation pickup, call 205.252.8151.
For monetary donations, click here.
4. The Foundry
Since 1971, The Foundry has been helping restore hope and rebuild lives of addicts through Christ-centered recovery and rescue. The organization provides a number of services, such as:
- Addiction recovery programs
- Job-skills training and job fair opportunities
- Emergency food boxes
- Clothing vouchers
While The Foundry’s thrift stores and programs are temporarily shut down due to COVID-19, you can still donate to the organization. Here’s how:
You can also visit one of The Foundry’s many donation drop boxes like the shown one above. Find them at the following locations:
- 5291 Valleydale Rd., Birmingham, AL 35242
- 230 Green Springs Hwy., Birmingham, AL 35209
- 3748 Lorna Rd., Birmingham, AL 35216
- 1800 4th Ave N., Bessemer, AL 35020
- 1804 6th Ave N., Bessemer, AL 35020