Birmingham, while you shelter in place this weekend, here are three projects you can work on to help combat COVID-19 here in the Magic City and Alabama.
Physician Moms PPE Drive – Homewood Library – March 28-29, 9am-3:00pm
You know what to do. This is the 2nd weekend PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) drive hosted by the Birmingham Physician Moms group. They have added some additional items to last week’s list. Please take some time and gather items. Let’s keep our healthcare professionals safe.
- Surgical masks and N95 masks
- Shoe covers
- Face shields
- Bouffant caps/head covers
- Reusable googles
For infection prevention reasons, when you donate, the group is asking people to physically place the items in a box at the Homewood Library site- 1721 Oxmoor Rd, Birmingham, AL 35209. There will not be hand to hand contact or exchange. They will have Lysol wipes and hand gel on hand.
Donated items will be distributed locally to healthcare professionals combating the coronavirus outbreak, including UAB and nearby hospitals.
A Permanent PPE Birmingham Pickup Site
This is good news. Jefferson County has a new daily (except on weekends) donation PPE collection center.
Here is the info:
The site: Christian Service Mission Warehouse, 3600 3rd Avenue S – Birmingham, AL 35222.
The following items will be considered for donations:
- N95 Masks
- Surgical Masks
- Isolation Gowns
- Face Shields
- Sterile Specimen Collection Swabs
Drop-off hours: Monday – Thursday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. (noon)
- Please note that only unopened packages and supplies will be accepted. The supplies must also be undamaged.
Face Mask Sewing for Birmingham Healthcare has a Website
What started as a Facebook group page on Friday, March 20th has turned into an army of dedicated people making face masks for healthcare professionals throughout Alabama.
The group now has 3700 members AND A WEBSITE – Bham Face Masks .
Here is what they have accomplished per their update last night.
- Total requests for Face Masks from healthcare facilities: Over 5600 masks
- Face Masks distributed on Thursday March 26: 580
- Face Masks distributed scheduled for Friday, March 27: 811
They now have 4 permanent donation sites:r
- M,W, F -Summit/ AMC Theaters – 10:00 am – 11:00 am
- Tu, Th, Sa-Brookwood Mall/Macy’s Parking Lot -3:00 pm-4:00 pm
- M-F -Bibb and Tucker Sew-Op – 10 am-11am 4915 5th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Joanne Fabric’s Hoover- Drop off during normal business hours
- Bin will be located 15 feet from volunteers vehicle
- 1 person at a time out of vehicles
- Drop bag containing masks into bin
- Notify volunteer how many masks you are dropping off
According to WBRC Fox 6, the Jefferson County Department of Health is accepting homemade masks. Earlier this week, Bham Now published a story about the effort featuring homemade masks from volunteers.
Contact Bham Now about efforts to combat the COVID-19 crisis. Also, support LOCAL businesses, visit our NEW Local Business Guide for delivery & curbside info and discounts.