We know life is a little crazy right now, but that doesn’t mean you have to go stir crazy at home. Here are some activities to keep you busy and productive including virtual dance parties, live streams with local bands and free book delivery in Birmingham.
Get moving with virtual workout classes + more from Birmingham fitness studios!
You may be stuck inside, but that doesn’t mean you can’t break a sweat. Local Birmingham fitness studios are coming to your rescue by offering virtual workout classes. Here are a few that we know of:
Dance your heart out with Ignite Cycle 💛
- WHAT: Get ya groove on with Ignite Cycle on Instagram Live during their virtual dance parties!
- HOW: Tune into their IG Live for a 45 min set from DJ Kallima 🎧
- WHEN: Monday-Friday at 5:15 PM
- PRICE: FREE
- BONUS: Head to Ignite’s Instagram at 8:30AM each day to see the theme of the dance party, and send them your song recommendations! The lyrics will all be clean so you can dance with the whole fam.
Build muscle with Battle Republic 🥊
- WHAT: All classes will be moved online to their Battle On-Demand platform.
- HOW: Sign-up online here.
- WHEN: Through the end of March
- PRICE: Free for auto-pay members, $49.99 a month for new members.
- BONUS: Auto-pay members get 30% off a 45 min, 3-on-1 private training session. 💥
Get your daily workout with True40 Bham 💪
- WHAT: True40 will begin posting 30-50 minute at-home workouts on their site from True40 instructors across all of their studios.
- HOW: Head to their site and visit the “At Home Workouts” tab.
- WHEN: New workouts will be added once a day Mon.-Fri.
- PRICE: FREE, but they are requesting a $5-$10 donation if you feel led and can afford it.
- BONUS: A few live workouts will take place through their social channels so keep an eye on their Instagram accounts!
Re-center yourself with Villager Yoga 🧘
- WHAT: Namaste inside with private lessons and digital classes from Villager Yoga.
- HOW: Send them an email or register at email@example.com
- WHEN: TBD when group classes will resume. Keep up with them on social for updates!
- PRICE: First-time private lesson students may book a lesson via email for $50 (30% off regular price) while our group classes are on hold.
- BONUS: Can’t afford lessons? They also have a Youtube channel with short yoga practices already uploaded and totally FREE.
Are you a local studio offering online fitness classes? Fill out this form so we can include you in our next guide!
Put down your phone and entertain yourself with movies, books and more.
The constant news cycle and social media scrolling can be draining. While you have free time, consider watching new movies, reading a new book or playing a game. Hopefully, it will help clear your mind and focus on something productive and creative.
Stream a show recommended by Sidewalk Cinema 🎥
- WHAT: Sidewalk is sharing their recommendations movies on Netflix and Hulu!
- HOW: Visit their site to see their picks.
- WHEN: Follow them on social for more updates on when they’ll open their doors.
- PRICE: Free for subscribers. Sign up for Netflix starting at $8.99 a month or Hulu for $5.99 a month.
- BONUS: They’ve only released Part 1 of both their Netflix and Hulu recs, so keep an eye on their website for the next drop from their programming team. Also, we wrote this fun guide to Birmingham-influenced shows + films. Check it out.
Get new books delivered from Thank You Books in Crestwood 📚
- WHAT: Order a new book from Thank You Books and support a local independent book store at the same time! They also sell puzzles, locally made mugs + printed apparel and will personally shop those items for you.
- HOW: Browse their book inventory and order online here. You can also place your order by calling them at 205-202-3021.
- WHEN: You can order books Tuesday – Sunday from 10AM-2PM
- PRICE: Book pricing ranges. For more info visit their site.
- BONUS: If you live within 6 miles of their store, they are offering free delivery.
Are you a local business offering curbside pickup or delivery of goods? Fill out this form so we can include you in our next guide!
Jam out to local music during live-stream concerts.
Music is one of the best ways to connect with people, and right now, being connected it so important. You may not be able to go to concerts in person, but you can still watch them through your device!
Listen to live + local music from Hunker in the Bunker from Big Friendly Productions 🎶
- WHAT: Hear local tunes with a new live stream series called Hunker in the Bunker, from Big Friendly Productions, a local music production studio in Birmingham.
- HOW: Tune into Big Friendly Productions’ Facebook page for more updates on the live stream and how to watch.
- WHEN: You’ll be able to catch a live show Thursday through Sunday for the foreseeable future, according to Live & Listen.
- PRICE: FREE
- BONUS: This week’s performances include Juco and Opposite Box on Thursday; Wave the Ocean, Buffalo Lemonpepper Project and Rebecca Egeland on Friday; and Yoga with Noel, The Pearl and Tragic City on Saturday.