Grab that rod and reel. The Academy Sports + Outdoors Bassmaster Classic presented by Huk returns to Birmingham March 5-8 for its Golden Anniversary. Admission is free!
Created by B.A.S.S.—the world’s largest fishing organization—the Bassmaster Classic has grown larger and larger every year drawing fans from across the globe. Just last year, the event was held in Knoxville, Tennessee, and drew a record-breaking 153,000+ fans—a number B.A.S.S. hopes to beat this year.
Here are some fun facts about the Bassmaster Classic:
- It’s known as the Super Bowl of Bass Fishing.
- The very first Classic was held in 1971 on Lake Mead in Nevada.
- This will be the 13th Classic held in Alabama, the ninth held in Birmingham and the third held at Lake Guntersville.
- It is a huge economic driver for communities that host it—last year, the Bassmaster Classic was held in Knoxville, Tennessee and had an economic impact of more than $32 million.
What’s especially cool about this year is that three anglers from the Birmingham area qualified to complete: Clent Davis (Montevallo), reigning Bassmaster Angler of the Year Scott Canterbury (Odenville) and Matt Herren (Ashville).
Congrats guys! Birmingham will be rooting for you.
The competition begins March 6 at Civitan Park in Guntersville, AL
The competition begins bright and early at 7AM on Friday, March 6. Get an up-close view as competing anglers take off from the docks at Lake Guntersville and head to their lake sweet spots in hopes of catching prize-winning bass.
This year’s prizes: over $1 million total purse and $300,000 for the first place winner.
That’s a lot of dough… I mean, fish.
From the grassy sidelines, experience hours of entertainment with:
- Special guests, giveaways and photo ops
- Vendor booths
- Demo boat rides
- Live music
- Food, including free pancake breakfast on Saturday courtesy of local host, the Marshall County Convention & Visitors Bureau
Where: Civitan Park, Guntersville, AL. 1130 Sunset Dr., Guntersville, AL 35976.
Who will reel in prize-worthy bass? Find out during the Weigh-ins at the BJCC’s Legacy Arena. There will also be live music and fun promotions with giveaways from B.A.S.S. sponsors.
Where: BJCC’s Legacy Arena.1001 19th St. N., Birmingham, AL 35203
Hours: 3PM for credentialed B.A.S.S. Life and B.A.S.S. Nation members and 3:15PM for the general public
Check out over 200 exhibitors during the Bassmaster Classic Outdoor Expo, March 6-8
Prepare to experience every outdoor enthusiast’s dream during the Bassmaster Classic Outdoors Expo March 6-8. The Expo is one of the largest fishing consumer shows in the country. Over 200 exhibitors from around the world will be on-site selling all the latest and greatest merch for fishing, hunting, camping and more.
Make sure you swing by the B.A.S.S. booth for exciting opportunities:
- Discover memorabilia like classic trophies and jumpsuits from the Bassmaster Museum.
- Meet the Bassmaster Elite Anglers for autographs and photos.
- Meet B.A.S.S. legends during Bassmaster Magazine’s Q&A with bass fishing icons.
- Have your photo taken with the Bassmaster Classic trophy.
- And more!
Where: The BJCC. 1001 19th St. N., Birmingham, AL 35203
Hours: Friday, March 6 – Noon-7PM | Saturday, March 7 – 10AM-6PM | Sunday, March 8 – 10AM-4PM
Don’t miss the kick-off celebration on March 5 in Uptown!
The 50th celebration begins during the Bassmaster Classic Kickoff Party benefiting Children’s of Alabama.
Where: Uptown Birmingham. 2221 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. N., Birmingham, AL 35203.
Date: Thursday, March 5
This festive street party will feature:
- Live music
- Fun activities and games
- Delicious eats/drinks from local restaurants, breweries and food trucks
- Special guest appearances from Bassmaster Elite anglers
- Vendors and local craft beer tents
All are welcome to attend. Admission is free.
Celebrate the 50th Bassmaster Classic
Can Birmingham surpass Tennessee’s 2019 record-breaking attendance? Attend the Academy Sports + Outdoors Bassmaster Classic presented by Huk in Birmingham, March 5-8 and help them crush it. Admission is free.