Read Time 2 Minutes
Happy Mardi Gras season, Birmingham! We’re only a few weeks out from Fat Tuesday, which means the good times are already rolling. Grab your beads and don’t choke on the baby in the king cake—here’s how to celebrate in the Magic City.
1. First Things First—KING. CAKE.
Any true Mardi Gras fan knows the three main food groups of early spring: crawfish, red beans and rice, and of course—king cake.
This iced delicacy is generally made with either puff pastry or brioche dough, then iced and topped with colored sugar. Fillings like raspberry, chocolate, cream cheese, cinnamon and more are not uncommon.
There are several spots in Birmingham to pick up this Mardi Gras staple—here are a few:
- Edgar’s Bakery | Website | Find a location near you
- Savage’s Bakery | Website | 2916 18th Street So. Homewood, AL 35209
- Beehive Baking Company | Website | Order online or pick one up at their pop-up with Dreamer Supply Co.
- You can generally find king cakes at Publix and Whole Foods as well—both of which have multiple locations in the Birmingham metro
Can’t get enough king cake? Check out these 5 Mardi Gras-inspired treats across Birmingham. If you need me, I’ll be hunting down that stuffed french toast…
2. Mardi Gras Ball
Don’t miss the 2nd Annual Mardi Gras Ball at Corbin Farms. Break out your best mask and get ready to dance the night away! Attire is dressy-casual. They’ll have live music from 7-10PM.
Tickets include hors d’oeuvres and 1 glass of wine. Additional wine or draft beer will be available for purchase the night of the event. Outside food and beverages are not permitted.
This is a 21+ ONLY event.
- Date: Saturday, February 22
- Time: 7PM-10PM
- Location: Corbin Farms Winery
- Address: 800 County Road 87 Calera, AL 35040
- Cost: $30
3. Magic City Mardi Gras with Tragic City
Crawfish, live music and craft beer—what more could you want? Avondale Brewing Co. will be rocking with Tragic City on Fat Tuesday, and all ages are welcome!
- Date: Tuesday, February 25
- Time: 4PM-10PM
- Location: Avondale Brewing Company
- Address: 201 41st Street South Birmingham, AL 35222
- Cost: FREE
4. Mardi Gras Crawfish Boil & Pig Roast
Mardi Gras in downtown Birmingham—good food is a guarantee. The talented kitchen team at Roots and Revelry will be hosting a Mardi Gras crawfish boil and pig roast.
Their bar will also be serving up their version of the New Orleans classic hurricane cocktail. Each ticket comes with one food ticket, one drink ticket, and a souvenir cup.
- Date: Tuesday, February 25
- Time: 5PM until the food runs out!
- Location: Roots & Revelry in the Thomas Jefferson Tower – 2nd Floor
- Address: 1623 2nd Avenue North Birmingham, AL 35203
- Cost: $20 online | $25 at the door
5. Mardi Gras Soiree
Join Birmingham Young Black Professionals as they celebrate their first year anniversary. They’ll kick it off with a special networking mixer and finish the night celebrating YBP.
- Date: Friday, February 28
- Time: 8PM-2AM
- Location: Saferoom Lounge
- Address: 2008 3rd Avenue N Birmingham, AL 35203
- Cost: $30 General Admission | $300 VIP Section