Where can you recycle household hazardous wastes? Alabama Environmental Council has the answers

Screen Shot 2019 02 25 at 12.00.38 PM Where can you recycle household hazardous wastes? Alabama Environmental Council has the answers
Photo from the city of Auburn News

It is the biggest mystery in every household. Where can you recycle household hazardous waste? Thanks to the Alabama Environmental Council we finally have an answer.

Last week, AEC released a state-wide list of places that recycle household hazardous wastes.  From Huntsville to Mobile – they found numerous programs.  Be mindful, some of these initiatives may require a small fee.

Let’s look at the Birmingham area first!


Screen Shot 2018 11 26 at 3.51.39 PM Where can you recycle household hazardous wastes? Alabama Environmental Council has the answers
UAB supports recycling and waste reduction initiatives in the new UAB Sustainability Strategic Plan. Photo courtesy of UAB

Thanks to the Jefferson County Commission, There are numerous locations throughout Jefferson County where you can participate in Household Cooking Oil Recycling.

Household Cooking Oil Recycling containers can be dropped off at the following locations during their hours of operation:

● Adamsville Pharmacy ● Birmingham Botanical Gardens ● Bessemer Fire Station #3 ● Bessemer Fire Station #4 ● Bessemer Recycling Center ● Center Point- The Pointe Apartments ● Gardendale Fire Station #1 ● Homewood City Works building  ● Hueytown City Hall. ● Jefferson County Re-Fueling Station. ● Leeds Fire Station #2. ● Midfield Fire Station. ● North Smithfield Greenleaf Heights. ● Pinson Rock School Recycling Center  ● Tarrant City Hall. ● Trussville Fire Station #1. ● Trussville Fire Station #2  ● Trussville Fire Station #3  ● UAB Campus  ● Vestavia Hills

Screen Shot 2019 02 25 at 12.09.07 PM Where can you recycle household hazardous wastes? Alabama Environmental Council has the answers
Jefferson County Cooking oil Recycling Program. Photo from Jefferson County Commission

Click HERE for any further information.


There will be a FREE Household Hazardous Waste Drop off Day open only to residents at 8:30am-11:30am on April 20, 2019 at 1205 15th Ave N, Bessemer, AL 35020. Click HERE for more information.


Public Works stated that there will be a Household Hazardous Waste Day event open to Gardendale residents sometime in 2019, but dates have not been solidified yet. Call Josh Allen at (205) 936-6222 for more information.


The Hueytown Street Department holds a Household Hazardous Waste Day for residents yearly; However, a date for this year has not been solidified yet. Call the Street Department at (205) 491-9113 for more information.


Every fall, the Vestavia Chamber of Commerce holds a Household Hazardous Waste Day event for residents. Folks can bring confidential documents to shred, pesticides, paint thinner, batteries, electronics, etc, for recycling. Residents can also follow the guidelines on vhal.org for proper guidelines and step-by-step instructions on how to dispose of their hazardous waste at their homes. Call (205) 978-0100 for more information.

Programs outside of Birmingham


Auburn The City of Auburn has hosted annual Household Hazardous Waste events since 2003. Moving forward, they plan to host them bi-annually in spring/fall. The next event is schedule for Saturday, April 6, 2019 from 9am-1pm. There will be stations for secure document shredding and e-waste recycling in conjunction with each HHW event.
For any additional information, please email City of Auburn’s Environmental Services Director, Tim Woody at

Baldwin County

The following locations accepts Household Hazardous Waste from Baldwin County citizens for a small fee:

● Bay Minette Transfer Station: 4291 Nicholasville Rd, Bay Minette, AL 36507.
● Magnolia Landfill: 15140 County Rd 49, Summerdale, 36580.
Baldwin County also hosts an annual Amnesty Day, usually the first Saturday in March, where folks can recycle.

For more information regarding recycling Household Hazardous Waste in Baldwin County, please email Baldwin County Commission’s Development and Environmental Director, Terri Graham at tgraham@baldwincountyal.gov


The Dothan Public Works department stated that there are no upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Day events in the near future. They did say that if residents need to recycle paint, they can take it to any Lowe’s within the area. If for some reason Lowe’s will not accept it, they will direct residents to someone else who could assist.


Residents can take any Household Hazardous Waste to the City of Enterprise Public Works Department within their hours of operation. They are located at 529 Glover Avenue, Enterprise AL, 36330.


Household hazardous waste products include household cleaners and chemicals, lawn and garden poisons, household and car batteries, paints and related products, pool chemicals, any type of solvents or acids, and automotive fluids. You can safely dispose of these products at 4100 Leeman Ferry Road, Huntsville, AL 35805 on the first Saturday of every month from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM. In the event of a holiday falling on the Friday before or Saturday after a regularly scheduled first Saturday collection, the collection will take place on the second Saturday of the month.- from huntsvilleal.gov

For more information, visit http://swdahsv.org/ or call the Solid Waste Disposal Authority at (256) 880-6054.


Mobile County usually has a Household Hazardous Waste Day Event every quarter for the public. However, there is not an event scheduled right now. For questions, contact Lisa Adams, Environmental Grants Specialist for Mobile County at (251) 574-3229.


Call the Montgomery Clean City Commission at (334) 625-2175 for more information on where to dispose of household hazardous waste.


The Prattville Sanitation Department Superintendent, Tracy Simpson, stated that Prattville does not have any options for recycling hazardous waste. He stated that the Prattville Sherwin Williams accepts paint for recycling, and that any car shop in the area accepts motor oil to dispose of. If residents need to dispose of paint, they can set the can outside their garbage can, and put cat litter, dirt, sand, etc.. in the can to dry out the paint. You can call (334) 850-2512 for more information.


The Mercedes Plant in Vance, AL has a Household Hazardous Waste Day every third Friday of the month. You can contact Karl Moeller at 205-507-3568 for more information.

*O’Reilly Auto parts accepts motor oil and old car batteries. For every automotive lead-acid battery you bring in, O’Reilly will give you a $10 gift card.

Need more info?

Connect with the Alabama Environmental Council at http://aeconline.org for additional info.

Pat Byington
Pat Byington

Longtime conservationist. Former Executive Director at the Alabama Environmental Council and Wild South. Publisher of the Bama Environmental News for more than 18 years. Career highlights include playing an active role in the creation of Alabama's Forever Wild program, Little River Canyon National Preserve, Dugger Mountain Wilderness, preservation of special places throughout the East through the Wilderness Society and the strengthening (making more stringent) the state of Alabama's cancer risk and mercury standards.

Articles: 2087