Read Time 2 Minutes
Have you heard of Les Dames d’Escoffier? It’s an international group of women leaders in food, wine and hospitality. This September, seven top Birmingham women in food, all members of the Magic City’s chapter of the organization, demonstrate recipes at the Market at Pepper Place. Check out the lineup.
Yum. Give Me Details
The Market at Pepper Place hosts live chef demonstrations every Saturday at 9 a.m., rain or shine, on 29th Street. Here’s when you can catch top Birmingham women in food, aka Les Dames, at the Market in September 2018.
1. Pastry Chef Brittany Garrigus
- Chef Demo: Saturday, Sept. 1 at 9 a.m. at the Market at Pepper Place
- Restaurant: Satterfield’s Restaurant in Cahaba Heights
- Recipe: Homemade Pear Jam
At each chef demo, Les Dames will show you how to make a simple seasonal recipe, share a taste and talk about the chapter’s mission and community outreach.
2. Chefs Sherron Goldstein And Rebel Negley
- Chef Demo: Saturday, Sept. 8 at 9 a.m. at the Market at Pepper Place
- Classes: Fresh Fields Cooking, a private cooking school in Mountain Brook
Founded in 2013, the local chapter of Les Dames d’Escoffier counts top Birmingham women in food among its members. Respected chefs and restaurateurs like Idie Hastings, Becky Satterfield and Pardis Stitt are Les Dames. So are many top local female food writers, cookbook authors, food photographers and stylists, cooking instructors, wine experts and leaders in the hospitality industry.
3. Chefs Pat Terry And Jessica Ivey
- Chef Demo: Saturday, Sept. 15 at 9 a.m. at the Market at Pepper Place
- Classes: Samford Wellness Kitchen, a 7-week cooking class series offered through Samford University’s School of the Arts
- Recipe: Grilled Baba Ghanoush
4. Chef Kathy Mezrano
- Chef Demo: Saturday, Sept. 22 at 9 a.m. at the Market at Pepper Place
- Catering: Kathy G & Company, a renowned Birmingham special event and wedding caterer for more than 20 years.
Local recipients of Les Dames d’Escoffier’s culinary scholarships (i.e. our future top Birmingham women in food) will assist Les Dames with their cooking demonstrations at the Market at Pepper Place.
5. Executive Chef Mary Grace Viado Howard
- Chef Demo: Saturday, Sept. 29 at 9 a.m. at the Market at Pepper Place
- Restaurant: Village Tavern at the Summit
- Recipe: Braised Meatball Skillet
Learn more about demonstrations at the Market at Pepper Place.