Sure, we have some time before The World Games hit Birmingham in 2021, but it’s never too soon to celebrate the wide world of international sports.
A Big Deal
The World Games take place July 15-25, 2021!
For the most part, The World Games are meant for sports not contested in the Olympic Games. Karate is an exception. It’s debuting at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan.
More fun facts: The games take place every four years, one year after the summer Olympic games. That new stadium? It could be built in time for the big event, too.
Out of the 30 sports included in the World Games, which one of these interest you the most? Artistic roller skating? Fistball? Korfball? Flying Disc? Yeah, I have no idea but they sound cool! I can’t wait to check them out.
30 sports and 3,600 of the world’s finest athletes in Birmingham! Also:
- The World Games are organized and governed by the International World Games Association (IWGA).
- They are also recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
- About 4,500 athletes and officials from approximately 100 countries take part.
- The first World Games were held in 1981.
- Birmingham beat out Lima, Peru and Ufa, Russia to host the games.
Birmingham looks forward to hosting athletes from 100 countries around the globe, and the games attract tens of thousands of fans. The estimated economic impact is $256 million over the course of 11 days.