Read Time 3 Minutes
Y’all, this is huge. Bozoma Saint John is coming to Birmingham! The new Endeavor marketing officer and coolest woman in Silicon Valley is the featured keynote speaker at Sloss Tech, the premiere tech festival of the Southeast, on July 13.
“She really carved out a space and a reputation in tech for being innovative, bold and authentic,” said CEO and President of TechBirmingham, Deon Gordon. ” I think she has a great message that resonates, especially when you consider the time and climate around diversity and inclusion in tech.”
Oh, You Didn’t Know?
You may have heard about Bozoma’s recent departure from Uber, as she is one of the tech industry’s brightest stars. Everyone keeps up with her! She’s headed to Endeavor, the entertainment-industry giant, saying they offered her an opportunity she couldn’t refuse.
Boz moved from Ghana to the U.S. when she was five-years-old and later attended Wesleyan University.
Early bird Sloss Tech tickets are on sale, but not for long! Buy them here.
She quickly rose the ranks in Fortune 500 companies like PepsiCo, where she was head of music and entertainment marketing. She’s also worked for BEATS, the online subscription-based, streaming music service, and after they were purchased by Apple, Boz became the head of global consumer marketing for iTunes and Apple Music.
She’s The Boz
In 2016, when she stole the show at Apple’s keynote Worldwide Developers Conference, Buzzfeed called her the “coolest person to ever go on stage at an Apple event.”
Bozoma is making her mark with marketing. The recent launch of the NBA-themed national ad campaign “Rolling with the Champion” made a big splash as she tapped LeBron James and Maverick Carter’s digital agency Uninterrupted.
Boz’s outstanding career has been widely recognized by both the industry and her peers. Check this out:
- She’s been inducted into the American Advertising Federation Hall of Achievement.
- She’s been named as Executive of the Year by Billboard Magazine.
- She’s featured in Fortune Magazine’s Disruptors, Innovators & Stars 40 Under 40 feature, Billboard’s Top Executives 40 Under 40 and Power 100 lists, Fast Company’s 100 Most Creative People, Ad Age’s 50 Most Creative People, Ebony Magazine’s 100 Powerful Executives, Black Enterprise’s Most Powerful Women in Business, and she made the cover of AdWeek as one of the most exciting personalities in advertising.
- She’s been awarded African Health Now’s Inaugural Gift of Life Leadership Award and BET’s Leading Women Defined Butterfly Award.
- In March, 2017, she was named as a Henry Crown Fellow in the Aspen Institute.
Three Years Strong!
Sloss Tech just keeps getting bigger every year. Last year YouTube’s most influential creator Casey Neistat and former New York Giants running back Tiki Barber headlined, and the tech fest sold out.
“Given Birmingham’s rise as an emerging tech hub, of course we are going to have conversations about Birmingham’s role in not just building a successful and innovative economy but one that is diverse and inclusive as well,” Gordon said.
Birmingham Innovation Week
This is such a bustling week for the city! Birmingham Innovation Week starts on July 6, so go ahead and start planning. There’s a kickoff party, presentations, workshops and more, all culminating with Sloss Tech on the 13th. Oh, and guess what starts July 14? Sloss Fest! Yep, they planned it like that. Genius! The lineup includes:
- Innovation Week Kickoff Party: Happy hour at Iron City. Come by, let your hair down and register for events happening during the week. This event is open to the public, but you must register.
- Sloss Sport: The Sloss Sport conference focuses on listening, discussing, and interacting with the latest in creativity, innovation, and technology within the sports industry.
- imerge is returning! This year’s event will be held at the new EDPA headquarters. Last year the event brought over 20K guest from 10 states to Birmingham.
Check out the schedule for Birmingham Innovation Week!
Birmingham Innovation Week celebrates all the creatives, risk-takers and innovators. Join fiercely collaborative events produced by Birmingham’s most pioneering public and private institutions and be a part of a showcase of transformational ideas and ventures evolving in Birmingham.
The week bridges the gap between local entrepreneurs, talent and capital—ultimately accelerating our already thriving startup community.
Stay Tuned! More Surprises!
I’ll be sharing the remainder of Sloss Tech’s lineup over the next month, with other juicy details and need-to-know Sloss Tech info.