Congrats are in order for the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) as they are ranked No. 10 by Times Higher Education‘s 2018 Young University Rankings.
What is Times Higher Education?
If you didn’t know, Times Higher Education’s University rankings are a pretty big deal. Times Higher Education is a weekly magazine based in London that reports specifically on news and issues related to higher education. What’s especially important to know is that it is among the world’s most comprehensive, balanced and trusted resource by academics, students, their families, industry and governments across the globe.
The Times Higher Education’s 2018 Young University Rankings list the world’s best universities that are aged 50 years or under.
How old is UAB? 49 years young! (The university will celebrates it 50th anniversary in 2019.)
250 institutions from 55 different countries were ranked based on several areas, including:
- International Outlooks
- Industry Incomes
UAB came in number 10 in the U.S.
Curious about the full rankings list? Check it out.
How does UAB feel about this ranking?
“This prestigious recognition directly reflects the dedication and hard work that our faculty, staff, students, alumni and community supporters have contributed to build tremendous, growing momentum in every pillar of our mission in less than 50 shorts years,” said UAB President Ray L. Watts. “I celebrate and share this tremendous honor with everyone in the UAB community, as well as with those who came before us and built the strong foundation from which we continue to effect positive, global change.”
Noteworthy UAB Facts
- It is the largest single employer in AL with an annual statewide economic impact exceeding $7.15 billion.
- It boasts many nationally-ranked programs, including 13 graduate programs ranked in the top 25 (according to U.S. News and World Report).
- UAB Hospital – the centerpiece of the UAB Health System – is among the 20 largest hospitals in the U.S.
- U.S. News and World Report Best Hospitals report listed 10 of UAB’s medical specialties in the nation’s top 50 programs of their kind.
- It has the only NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center in AL.