Create Birmingham launched a new initiative that invites Birmingham-based poets to apply to be part of the inaugural 2024-2025 Poet Laurete. Keep scrolling for more information on this program and what it means for The Magic City.
Poet Laureate will serve as an ambassador for poetry in Birmingham
According to a release from Create Birmingham, this initiative is in partnership with the City of Birmingham and funded by the Alabama State Council on the Arts and The Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Committee of the Birmingham City Council.
Serving as an ambassador for poetry, the City of Birmingham Poet Laureate is an honorary position with roles and responsibilities that include:
- Building advocacy and community
- Facilitating public and educational programs
- Making local appearances
Want to apply?
Eager to see the poetry scene in Birmingham grow? Applications for Poet Laureate are open now! Here’s what you need to know when applying.
- Friday, September 29 | 5PM: Application questions due
- Monday, October 2 | 11:59PM: Final submissions due
The City of Birmingham Poet Laureate will agree to:
- Hosting three workshops for Birmingham City Schools.
- Participating in five City of Birmingham events.
- Writing two original poems for the City of Birmingham.
In order to be eligible, applicants must:
- Be 18 years or older at the time of application.
- Reside in the City of Birmingham at the time of application + for the duration of the appointment.
- Demonstrate a track record of public presentation of original poetry.
- Have the capacity + availability to attend periodic public events over the course of the two-year term.
For more information on the application, selection process and qualifications, head to Create Birmingham’s website.
What are you waiting for? Apply to be part of the City of Birmingham Poet Laureate and let the world see your poetry skills.
Get stories like this delivered right to your inbox when you sign up for our FREE Bham Now newsletter.