Last week, professional golfers, celebrities and tens of thousands of their fans made their way to the Greystone Golf & Country Club for the 2023 Regions Tradition. Now in its 34th year, the Regions Tradition has helped raise over $21M for local charities, including Children’s of Alabama.
Read on to learn what made the 2023 Regions Tradition a smashing success.
2023 Regions Tradition by the numbers
- What: 2023 Regions Tradition, benefiting Children’s of Alabama
- When: May 10th — May 14th
- Where: Greystone Golf & Country Club, 4100 Greystone Dr, Birmingham, AL 35242
Hosted in Birmingham since 1992, the Regions Tradition is an annual golf tournament and one of five tournaments on the PGA TOUR Champions. Each year, golfers professional and amateur—as well as their fans—travel to Greystone Golf & Country Club to compete for the title and prize while raising money for charity, primarily benefiting Children’s of Alabama.
78 players competed for $2.5M purse 🏌️
Over the course of the tournament, the Regions Tradition brought together 78 of the top PGA TOUR Champions and World Golf Hall of Fame Members—all competing for a portion of the $2.5M purse. After a hard-fought week, Steve Stricker took home his third Regions Tradition Title—as well as the $375,000 Winner’s Purse.
On Wednesday, May 10, the Celebrity Pro-Am offered amateur players the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play alongside a PGA TOUR Champions professional. During the Celebrity Pro-Am, spectators lined the fairway to see the 16 celebrity players:
- Charles Barkley
- Hugh Freeze
- Riley Green
- Kirby Smart
- Bo Jackson
- Dale Murphy
- Randy Owen
- Trent Dilfer
- Mike Mills
- Tommy Tuberville
- Noah Galloway
- Greg McElroy
- Peter Burns
- Connell Maynor
- Paul Finebaum
- Eddie Robinson, Jr.
$21M was raised for charity over 30+ years 👏
Since its inception in 1992, the Regions Tradition has raised more than $21M for charities in Alabama. The primary beneficiary of the Regions Tradition is Children’s of Alabama, one of the largest pediatric medical facilities in the country that provides specialized medical care for ill and injured children.
In addition to Children’s of Alabama, the 2023 Regions Tradition raised funds for:
- Birdies for Charity, a fundraising program that helps 501(c)3 charities and schools raise funds through flat donations and per-birdie pledges based on the number of birdies made by PGA TOUR Champions players during the Regions Tradition competitive rounds.
- The Mike Slive Foundation, which offered free PSA blood test screening on-sit during the Regions Tradition to help attendees screen for prostate cancer.
76,000 fans attended the 2023 Regions Tradition ⛳
According to initial estimates, over 76,000 fans attended the 2023 Regions Tradition! Over the course of the week, on-site eateries served roughly 8,000 meals and kept drinks cold with a whopping 17 tons of ice!
910 volunteers made the 2023 Regions Tradition possible
To ensure that all attendees had a once-in-a-lifetime experience, the Regions Tradition enlisted the help of 910 volunteers. Throughout the tournament, these volunteers made sure events ran smoothly by:
- Guiding tournament guests to various hospitality areas.
- Stocking and delivering refreshments to players and guests.
- Driving shuttle vehicles between the course and hotels, parking lots and other destinations.
- And much more!
Did you attend the 2023 Regions Tradition? Tag us @bhamnow to let us know your favorite part!