May is gearing up to be a magical month in Birmingham. From unique charity fundraisers to a Rosé All Day Wine & Music Festival, plan now for good times ahead.
1. Tunes on Tap
- What: Alabama Symphony Orchestra’s first season of Tunes on Tap concludes with a can’t-miss concert on May 4. Food and drinks will be available for purchase during the show. More info.
- When: Thursday, May 4 | 6:30PM
- Where: TrimTab Brewing Co, 2721 5th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Cost: Free admission
2. ‘Tails in the Trails
- What: Party on the Trails of Africa during this popular 21+ event at The Birmingham Zoo. Enjoy music, animal encounters, small bites from area restaurants and a silent auction. There will also be beer, wine and specialty cocktails like the Cougar Cocktail rum punch and the Moyo Margarita. More info.
- When: Friday, May 5 | 6-10PM
- Where: The Birmingham Zoo, 2630 Cahaba Rd, Birmingham, AL 35223
- Cost: Early Bird Tickets – $30-$55 | Standard Pricing – $35-$65 | Day of Event – $40-$75
3. Black Jacket Symphony Presents Tom Petty’s Full Moon Fever
What: Experience the music of Tom Petty like never before when The Black Jacket Symphony electrifies the stage of the BJCC. More info.
When: Friday, May 5 | 8PM
Where: BJCC Concert Hall, 2100 Richard Arrington Jr Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35203
4. The Inaugural Derby Day Social
- What: Dress in your best derby attire for a day of races, live music with the Ques and food in Birmingham’s Lakeview District. A real life race horse will make an appearance, so be sure to get a photo. Proceeds from the event benefit Lifting As We Climb, a local nonprofit dedicated to uplifting, empowering and exposing community youth to positive environments and to encourage academic excellence, community service and health awareness. More info.
- When: Saturday, May 6 | 2:30PM
- Where: 3008 8th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Cost: $60
5. 2nd Annual Taco & Tequila Crawl
- What: Get festive, Bham, the 2nd annual Taco & Tequila Crawl is underway! With delicious tacos and exclusive margarita, tequila and beer specials, this is one party you’ll taco ’bout for years. More info.
- When: Saturday, May 6 | 3-8PM
- Where: Participating Birmingham bars
- Cost: $19.99+
6. Bham Folk Fest
- What: Don’t miss this all-day jam session featuring live music like bluegrass and hip hop, interactive art and storytelling, workshops, vendors and more. View the lineup. More info.
- When: May 6 | 11AM-7PM
- Where: Avondale Park Amphitheater, 4101 5th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Cost: Free admission
7. Garden Art Party benefiting Alzheimer’s of Central Alabama
- What: Head to The Fennec this May for a Garden Art Party benefiting Alzheimer’s of Central Alabama. There will be a live auction, tunes from Mother May I, a cocktail buffer and more. More info.
- When: Saturday, May 6 | 7PM
- Where: The Fennec, 1630 2nd Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Cost: $100
8. Wine Down with Red Mountain Park
- What: Love Red Mountain Park? This annual fundraising event is a great way to show your support. While you’re there, you’ll discover and sample over 100 wines, plus have access to tasty eats from local food trucks. More info.
- When: Sunday, May 7 | 1:30-4PM
- Where: Hop City Craft Beer and Wine, 2924 3rd Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Cost: General Admission Pre-Event — $50 | General Admission – At Door – $60 | VIP – $85
9.Birmingham Taco Fest
What: Birmingham Taco Fest is back May 7 for a day filled with Bham’s top taco vendors and food trucks, music, kids’ activities + local art vendors. You can even vote for Best Taco! More info.
When: Sunday, May 7, 2023 | Noon-5PM
Where: Sloss Furnaces, 20 32nd St N, Birmingham, AL 35222
Cost: General Admission – $10 in advance, $12 day of event | VIP – $35 | Children 12 and under – Free
10. S’mores & Pours benefiting BridgeWays
- What: Enter a boho-chic wonderland during this must-attend fundraiser benefiting Bridgeways. Expect an evening filled with food from Taco Mama, fun raffles, cool pop-up shops from local businesses, live music from T.U.B. + two selections of Avondale’s tastiest brews. More info.
- When: Thursday, May 11 | 5-9:30PM
- Where: Avondale Brewing Company, 201 41st St S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Cost: Adult – $30 | Kids 6-18 – $10 | Kids 5 and under – Free
11. Tchaikovsky’s Fourth Symphony
- What: If you love the Alabama Symphony Orchestra, you’ll enjoy this concert led by Conductor Carlos Izcaray. The orchestra will be joined by violinist Tessa Lark and features Pulse by Birmingham native and composer-in-residence Brian Raphael Nabors. More info.
- When: Coffee Concert – Friday, May 12, 11AM | Friday, May 12 + Saturday, May 13, 7PM
- Where: UAB’s Alys Stephens Center, 1200 10th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35294
- Cost: $10-$80
12. Sleeping Beauty
- What: Experience the classic tale of Sleeping Beauty like never before with this dazzling performance from Magic City Performing Arts. This production features local artists and 100 community cast children from over 35 dance studios in the Birmingham area.
- Performance dates:
- Friday, May 12 | 7PM – Mother’s Night Out
- Sunday, May 14 | 2PM—Family Matinee
- Saturday, May 13 | 2PM. – Family Matinee | 7PM. – Mother’s Night Out
- Where: The Lyric Theatre, 1800 3rd Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
13. AWS Fest: A Benefit Concert for Alabama Waldorf School
- What: Show your support for the Alabama Waldorf School during a special benefit concert. The event includes live music from local and regional acts, plus festival fun. More info.
- When: Saturday, May 13 | Noon-7PM
- Where: Ferus on 41st, 430 41st St S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Cost: $20 | Kids 14 and under – Free
14. Taste of Trussville
- What: Taste of Trussville is back this May for its annual foodie event. This delicious event lets you sample food from local restaurants and bakeries like Ferus Artisan Ales, Full Moon BBQ, Meals By Misty, Pinchgut Pies, Taziki’s and more. A cash bar will also be available. More info.
- When: Thursday, May 11 | 5:30PM
- Where: Trussville Civic Center, 5381 Trussville Clay Rd, Trussville, AL 35173
- Cost: $25 | Tickets can also be purchased at Trussville Area Chamber of Commerce, Monday-Friday, 8AM-5PM
15. Rosé in the Roses
- What: Enjoy a glass of rosé provided by Finch Fine Wines and celebrate the Gardens’ roses by joining the Friends of Birmingham Botanical Gardens Junior Board. All proceeds will benefit the Friends’ Native Plant internship. More info.
- When: Thursday, May 11 | 5:30-7PM
- Where: Birmingham Botanical Gardens – Dunn Formal Rose Garden, 2612 Lane Park Rd, Birmingham, AL 35223
- Cost: Members $30 | Nonmembers $35
- Reservations required.
16. Cornhole Tournament benefiting Jimmie Hale Mission
- What: Get ready to watch the bean bags fly during this fun cornhole tournament benefiting the Jimmie Hale Mission. Along with cornhole games, the event features food from Hamburger Heaven, drinks, music, raffles and giveaways. More info.
- When: Saturday, May 13 | 1-6PM
- Where: 2723 1st Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35223
- Cost: Free to watch | $50 to play
- Register to play
17. Made Good Makers – Mother’s Day Market
- What: Shop local for the perfect Mother’s Day gift at the Made Good Makers Market this May. Some of Birmingham’s best makers and bakers will be there featuring everything from art and candles to ceramics and plants. More info.
- When: Sunday, May 14 | 1-5PM
- Where: Ghost Train Brewing Co, 3501 1st Ave S, Ste 101B, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Cost: Free admission
18. One Night of Queen performed by Gary Mullen & the Works
- What: A spectacular night awaits you during this live concert with Gary Mullen & the Works, one of the top Queen Tribute bands in the world. They will rock you with all of Queen’s mega-hits like Bohemian Rhapsody and We Are the Champions. More info.
- When: Wednesday, May 17 | 7PM
- Where: Lyric Fine Arts Theatre, 1800 Third Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Cost: $39+
19. Giving Restoration Benefiting the Will Bright Foundation
- What: Hear from Auburn University’s Head Basketball Coach Bruch Pearl during this special luncheon at The Club in Birmingham. More info.
- When: Thursday, May 18 | 1:30PM
- Where: The Club, 1 Robert S Smith Dr, Birmingham, AL 35209
- Cost: $200
20. Go Red for Women Luncheon
- What: Join the American Heart Association for a heart-healthy meal and presentation on how the organization is improving the health of our community, particularly women. There will also be health activities, including hands-only CPR demos, blood pressure screenings, cooking demos and interactive booths on women’s heart health. More info.
- When: Thursday, May 18 | 10:30AM-12:30PM
- Where: Events At Haven, 2515 6th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- For tickets, email BirminghamAL@heart.org.
21. It’s a Soul Thing – Taylor Hicks in Concert
- What: See Taylor Hicks light up the stage with an intoxicating blend of soul, blues, country and rock ’n’ roll. Proceeds from the concert benefit Alabama Game Changers, a medical literacy clinic that provides intervention to children of adoption and foster care with learning disabilities. More info.
- When: Friday, May 19 | 7-8:30PM
- Where: Wright Center, 872 Montague Dr, Birmingham, AL 35229
- Cost: $35-$65
- Buy tickets
22. 12th Annual Bow-Up Against Breast Cancer
- What: This 3D archery tournament is a unique way to show your support for breast cancer research in Alabama. All ages are welcome, so join a team and bow-up in the fight against breast cancer. All proceeds benefit the Breast Cancer Research Foundation of Alabama. More info.
- When: Saturday, May 20 + Sunday, May 21 | 7AM-2PM
- Where: Cullman Community Archery Park, 2604 Country Rd, 490, Cullman, AL 35077
- Cost: Adult Archer – $20-$25 | Youth Archer (15 and under) – $12-$15 | Team (up to 5 archers) – $100-$125
23. Birmingham Walking Tour: City Walk | Linn Park
- What: Slip on your comfiest shoes for an exciting walk in The Magic City. You’ll explore City Walk and historic Linn Park to learn about the design process, place making and a developing vision called Re-vision Linn Park. More info.
- When: Saturday, May 20 | 9-11AM
- Where: City Walk, 2200 9th Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203 | Linn Park, 20th St N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Cost: Vulcan Park & Museum Members – $20 | Non-Members – $30 | Member Bundle – $35, Non-Member Bundle $50
24. Rosé All Day Wine & Music Fest
- What: Dress in pink and prepare to party. At this exciting event, you’ll sip rosé from premium Black-owned wine labels, enjoy live entertainment and plenty more. More info.
- When: Saturday, May 20 | 2-9PM
- Where: L.i.t on 8th Bar, 518 Reverend Abraham Woods Jr Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35204
- Cost: General Admission – $50 | Picnic Ticket – $98
25. Alabama Bridal & Wedding Expo
- What: Looking to plan the perfect wedding? You’ll want to attend this expo. Event-planning experts will be onsite to offer tips, tricks and more to help make your big day one you and your guests will never forget. More info.
- When: Sunday, May 21 | 1-5PM
- Where: BJCC, 2100 Richard Arrington Jr Blvd N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Cost: $10 at door | Admission is free with online registration