If you’re a high-performing college student with a desire to impact millions, Protective has an incredible paid summer internship opportunity for you. We talked with two former interns who now work at this Great Place to Work-certified company. Keep reading for all the details and apply soon.
What you need to know about Protective’s summer internships
Interns at Protective have the opportunity for full-time employment upon successful completion of the internship.
- What: 10-week paid internship program
- When: May 22-June 28, 2023
- Pay: starting at $19 per hour for non-technical roles + $21 for technical/actuarial roles, 40 hours per week, M-F, with housing provided as an extra benefit to those who meet minimum requirements
- Who: high-performing college students from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Where: Protective’s office in Birmingham, 2801 US-280, Birmingham, AL 35223 + Protective’s office in Covington, 50 E. Rivercenter Boulevard, Suite 1600 Covington, KY 41011
- Career prep: Development + skill-building sessions that prepare interns for a successful career
- Workplace Flexibility: Hybrid work available depending on team
Protective has been protecting people for over 115 years through life insurance, asset protection and retirement products. Their mission is to help people achieve the protection and security they deserve.
- Types of Internship opportunities:
- Actuarial Science – Valuation, Enterprise Risk Management (ERM), Pricing
- Customer Experience/Operations
- Finance/ Data Analytics
- Internal Audit/Accounting
- New Business Operations
- Operations Risk Management
- Apply now
Meet Liz Castillo, Diversity, Equity + Inclusion
Liz Castillo is currently an Associate on Protective’s diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) team. In 2018, she started as an actuarial intern with the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) team. Afterwards, she was hired on full time as part of the actuarial student program. While in this program, she volunteered on Protective’s DE&I Advisory Committee. This volunteeer work piqued her interest in pursuing a career in DE&I.
Luckily, she was able to make a career shift to a full time DE&I role in Protective’s Human Resources department. Part of her role includes leading the external outreach team, which recruits for internships and early careers on college campuses.
One standout for her was the access she and her colleagues had to senior leaders:
“I don’t know many companies, especially as large as Protective, where interns have an opportunity to sit down with the CEO or executives from the C-suite. When you get that exposure as an intern, then return full time and those senior leaders remember you, it goes a long way toward building a strong foundation within the company.”Liz Castillo
Meet Austin Smith, Customer Experience Operations
During his summer 2019 internship, Austin Smith began working in Operations at Protective. After the internship, he was offered a part-time job while he finished his senior year at UAB. Post-graduation, he transitioned to full-time and has recently moved into a role that’s helping prepare the company for the future.
Most recently, he’s taken part in an “Intern to Employee” roundtable and has served as a mentor to new interns.
When he was accepted to the internship—his first—he had no idea what to expect. He was pleasantly surprised to learn that it was a structured 10-week program with a plan laid out for what they would be doing each week.
“We had a lot of project work, a lot of developmental opportunities and exposure to the entire company—the program itself was stellar.”Austin Smith
Start your career off on the right foot. Apply for a summer 2023 internship at Protective today.
Protective refers to Protective Life Corporation and insurance company subsidiaries, including Protective Life Insurance Company, Nashville, TN, and in New York, Protective Life and Annuity Insurance Company, Birmingham, AL.