Thanksgiving is a day to celebrate family, friends and give thanks. These five Birmingham organizations are saying thank you by serving free Thanksgiving meals to the community. Continue reading to find out where to get a free Thanksgiving meal this year or where you can serve others.
1. The Salvation Army Greater Birmingham
The Salvation Army Greater Birmingham Command is hosting a free Thanksgiving lunch this year. By offering nutritious meals daily, including a special Thanksgiving meal. Their mission to end food insecurity in Birmingham is another reason to give thanks to The Salvation Army this year.
- When: Thursday, November 24 | 11:30AM-12:30PM
- Where: The Center of Hope | 2015 26th Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35234
2. Central Alabama Pride
For those who do not have a home to go to on Thanksgiving, Central Alabama Pride is teaming up with The Magic City Acceptance Center to host a community, COVID-conscious free Thanksgiving meal.
- When: Thursday, November 24 | Noon-3PM
- Where: The Magic City Acceptance Center | 3130 3rd Ave S, Birmingham, AL 3130 3rd Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Register here
3. Little Income Tax Service LLC
Join Little Income Tax for a free Thanksgiving meal drive-thru. For those who need extra help this Thanksgiving, they will be delivering food boxes to your vehicle. This will be first come, first serve—so get there early.
- When: Sunday, November 20 | 1-4PM
- Where: 4 14th St, Bessemer, AL 35020
4. Alexander Shunnarah Trial Attorneys
For the 5th year in a row, Birmingham’s Alexander Shunnarah Trail Attorneys will be handing out 500 turkeys to bless someone this Thanksgiving.
“There are countless blessings I’m grateful for this holiday season, and the Birmingham community is a top contender. I strongly believe in returning your blessings to others, so I’m honored to offer 500 turkeys to help set the table for someone else’s Thanksgiving meal this year.”Alexander Shunnarah, Founder and CEO, Alexander Shunnarah Trial Attorneys
- When: Monday, November 21 | 3-7PM
- Where: 2900 1st Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
5. The Community Kitchens
Community Kitchens offers warm midday meals every day of the year. They will be serving a special Thanksgiving lunch plate including all your favorite side dishes such as green beans.
- When: Thursday, November 24 | Noon-1PM
- Where: St. Andrews Episcopal Church | 1024 12th St S, Birmingham, AL 35205
BONUS: Serve with Jimmie Hale Mission
Want to serve this Thanksgiving? JHM is partnering with Meals on Wheels to deliver and serve food to those in need this Thanksgiving. Traditionally closed on Thanksgiving, JHM has made it a priority to get a free Thanksgiving meal to those who cannot get out to travel. They are still looking for volunteers to help serve meals!
- When: Thanksgiving Day
- Sign up to serve