“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” This is the mission of Hope Inspired Ministries (HIM). Keep reading to learn what this means and how this nonprofit is changing lives in our city and beyond.
Hope Inspired Ministries
Hope Inspired Ministries (HIM) is a local nonprofit that serves chronically unemployed individuals by preparing and equipping them to obtain, maintain and excel at employment.
HIM believes the best way to help individuals who struggle to find or keep a job is to train them how to become self-sufficient by using the gifts and skills they have.
“We teach valuable job skills, but the relational aspect of what we do makes all the difference in the world. We meet individuals where they are mentally, spiritually and physically.”John Bowman, Executive Director, Hope Inspired Ministries
The ministry helps students unpack a lifetime of negative thoughts and behaviors to rebuild and transform into confident adults. Graduates leave the program feeling able not only to accomplish their own dreams but also to participate in the communities where they live and make a difference there.
About the program
HIM’s curriculum incorporates the structure and accountability of a workplace with empathy and compassion to equip individuals to escape the hopelessness and despair found in a lifetime of poverty.
Through a rigorous 9-week job training program, each student participates in 360 hours of training which includes:
- Soft Skills: Students learn the importance of honesty and a good work eithic.
- Employment Skills: Students learn what employers expect, how to write a resume, how to answer interview questions, and how to get along with supervisors and co-workers.
- Financial Literacy: Students learn how to pay their bills and manage other financial resources.
- Character Building: Students learn the personal qualities that all employers demand.
- Documentation Assistance: Students receive help in obtaining identification such as driver’s license, social security card, birth certificate, etc.
- Internships: Students receive up to 120 hours of on the job experience, providing a real edge when it comes to obtaining employment.
85-90% of graduates find jobs following the program, but to Executive Director John Bowman, it means more than just that.
“It’s not just about obtaining employment and keeping that employment. You know, we want them to excel at it. We are created for so much more and we want to help them know that they can achieve that.”
Work-Based Learning Seal of Excellence award
Hope Inspired Ministries recently received The Governor’s Work Based Seal of Excellence Award with AlabamaWorks!
The Governor’s Seal of Excellence Award recognizes the outstanding progress made in work-based learning. HIM was chosen among many other nonprofits who have committed their time and energy to expanding work-based learning in Alabama.
HIM is making life changing transformations, proving that even the most marginalized men and women of our community can become self-supporting, productive citizens.
“A lot of these individuals have never been loved or felt love. They’ve never been told that they can amount to anything and that makes a difference for their entire life. That’s what it’s all about. Showing up and speaking hope into these people will change not only their lives but those in their communities.”John Bowman, Executive Director, Hope Inspired Ministries