City Walk BHAM—the transformative park development under the new I-59/20 Bridge in downtown Birmingham—is well underway. Currently, crews are pouring concrete and installing equipment throughout the construction site. Earlier this month, ALDOT released an update about the project.
Keep reading to learn more about City Walk BHAM and when you can plan to visit.
City Walk BHAM will connect Birmingham like never before
In the works for years, City Walk BHAM is a community-driven project that aims to improve walkability in downtown Birmingham by creating a massive common space open to all citizens. City Walk BHAM will span ten city blocks between 15th Street North and 25th Street North, located along 9th Avenue North under the I-59/20 bridge.
The 31-acre park will be split up into eight sections:
- A: (15th Street to 16th Street) Recreational Sports and Gathering Space — Plans include challenge course, amphitheater, civil rights story zone, recreational sports space with artificial turf, multi-use field, gathering space and a 1/4-mile walking trail.
- B: (16th Street to 18th Street) Food Trucks, Skate Park — Plans include a roller skating rink, food trucks, activity zone and a skate park.
- C: (18th Street to 19th Street) Performance Space, Outdoor Classroom — Plans include performance space, outdoor classroom and parking.
- D: (19th Street to Richard Arrington Jr Blvd) Central Plaza — Plans include an outdoor stage, central gathering space, green ribbon garden path, water feature, restrooms, security station and info desk.
- E: (Richard Arrington Jr Blvd to 22nd Street) Market Space — Plans for this block include a market space.
- F: (22nd Street to 23rd Street) Beer and Wine Garden — Plans include a beer and wine garden and a green ribbon garden path.
- G: (23rd Street to 24th Street) Dog Park — Plans include a dog park, pickleball, restrooms and parking.
- H: (24th Street to 25th Street) Gateway to City Walk with Pond and Playground — Plans include a gateway pond, greenspace, playground, restroom and pavilion.
Once complete, City Walk BHAM will offer a wide variety of amenities to the public. Expect outdoor dining options, space for fitness classes, a skating rink, space for outdoor activities such as pickleball and much more. In addition, City Walk BHAM will be able to host weekly and monthly events, including concerts, holiday celebrations, festivals and more.
Project Update — City Walk BHAM
Earlier this month, ALDOT released an update on City Walk BHAM’s progress:
- Block A – Pavers for Civil Rights Plaza complete along 16th Street
- Block A – Pickleball court asphalt done, painting and netting next
- Block A – Playground equipment install happening now
- Block B – Skate park construction underway, pool shotcrete being placed 1/5/22, roller rink concrete poured 1/8/22
- Block C – Hardscape completed, turf to install
- Block D – Work continues on amphitheater and elevated area, visitors center and restroom under construction
- Block G – 23rd-24th Street Pickleball court installation underway north of 9th Avenue by Uptown parking lot
- Block G – Southern end small station walls being poured 1/5/22
- Block H – Excavation for pond ongoing, site grading, large station footings being poured
- 9th Ave between 19th and RAJ closed for stamped concrete installation.
- Lighting remains in test mode. Access is limited due to the presence of construction equipment.
Birmingham-based contractor Brasfield & Gorrie is the firm bringing City Walk BHAM to life. Brasfield & Gorrie is the Official Construction Partner of The World Games 2022, and is working to have portions of the park complete & open to the public before The World Games 2022, which will take place between Thursday, July 7th and Sunday, July 17th of this year.
“At Brasfield & Gorrie, we are passionate about building strong communities. City Walk will provide space for our community to gather, enhancing everyday life as well as major functions such as the World Games 2022 and the many events at the BJCC. We are honored to be part of this project.”Kevin White, Regional Vice President, Brasfield & Gorrie
Want to stay up to date on all things CityWalk BHAM? Follow Bham Now on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and sign up for our FREE Newsletter to get breaking news delivered to your inbox every day.