Read Time 4 Minutes
There’s no better way to get in the fa-la-la spirit than with holiday movies. December 18-23, McWane Science Center celebrates the relaunch of their IMAX Dome Theater with a week-long holiday movie event. Read on for the lineup, showtimes and more. Can’t wait? Grab your tickets now.
McWane relaunches the IMAX Dome Theater December 18
It’s been several months since McWane temporarily closed the doors to its IMAX Dome Theater. While it’s been a bit of a downer, the reason is totally worthwhile.
The John W. Woods IMAX Dome Theater has been working on some incredible upgrades. The biggest being the installment of IMAX’s Next-Generation IMAX with Laser Technology.
Designed for 180-degree domed theaters, the new technology replaces McWane’s original IMAX film projection system.
What makes IMAX’s Next-Generation Dome Laser Technology so cool?
Well, obviously the word laser gives it extra brownie points, but here’s what makes it so phenomenal:
- It features state-of-the-art sound technology that delivers the ultimate in power and precision.
- It makes every seat the best seat in the house with six laser-aligned loudspeakers that distribute equal volume throughout the theater.
- From a pin drop to the heart-palpitating force of a volcano, it provides complete audio immersion.
Add in unparalleled brightness, industry-leading contrast, an expanded color game for more vivid and exotic colors AND MORE to the list and…well, now you do you see just why IMAX Dome Next Generation Laser Technology is so cool?
“We are proud to be the first IMAX Dome theater in the Southeast to premiere this remarkable technology. We have partnered with IMAX for many years, and McWane’s conversion to IMAX with Laser marks a new era of science, learning and entertainment for our region. The IMAX dome is popular with kids and adults alike, and we’ve been fielding ticket inquiries for months.”Amy Templeton, President and Chief Executive Officer, McWane Science Center
The IMAX Dome Theater Shows Off Even More Upgrades
McWane’s IMAX Dome Theater will show off some interior upgrades, too. Get ready for new seating and flooring. Now that is sure to enhance the movie-watching experience.
Holiday Movies on the BIG Screen
Astounding upgrades to the IMAX Dome Theater are obviously worth a cheer, but to jingle those sleigh bells even more, check this out. December 18-23, McWane will be showing some of your favorite holiday movies, along with some spectacular documentaries. Here’s the lineup:
- The Grinch: 1:30PM
- The Polar Express: 4PM
- Antarctica: 11:30AM + 12:30PM
- Into America’s Wild: 11:30AM
Theater tickets are limited, so act fast. Purchase here.
Your Theater-Going Safety Checklist
McWane’s top priority is ensuring the health and safety of its guests. Here’s how they’ll be keeping theater-goers safe this winter:
- Theater capacity will be limited. While the IMAX Dome Theater was built to accommodate an audience of 250, only 62 guests will be allowed in the theater during each movie showing.
- Masks are required for theater attendees ages 3 and older.
- Social distancing will be observed with groups or families seated at least 6 ft. away from other groups.
- All touchable surfaces in the theater will be disinfected after each movie showing.
- The theater will be deeply cleaned and sanitized nightly.
For the full list of safety precautions taking place at McWane, click here.
More Holiday Fun at McWane
There’s lots of holiday fun on tap with The Magic of Winter presented by Royal Cup Coffee and Tea. Here’s a peek even more seasonal good-times taking place at McWane this season:
- Grab-a-Grinch and the Jingle Bell Hunt take kids on an awesome adventure throughout the museum, with a chance to win a ticket to a movie in the IMAX Dome Theater. When: December 16-20
- The Polar Express Social is the perfect time for kids to show off those holiday pjs. Enjoy hot chocolate and celebrate the showing of The Polar Express in the IMAX Dome Theater. More info here. When: December 18-23
- Bring your camera and the kids for a Virtual Visit with Santa via video. Remind the kids to bring their Christmas lists—Santa will be expecting them. When: December 19-20
- The Magic of Model Trains rolls through McWane this holiday season with the sounds and action of built-to-scale model trains that will wow kids of all ages. When: Now-January 3
Need a last-minute gift or stocking stuffer?
Wonder Woman 1984
Dust off your lassos and shields, because Wonder Woman: 1984 hits McWane’s IMAX Dome Theater with a ka-pow! this December.
- When: December 26, 29-31 | January 1-3
- Showtimes: 1:30PM | 4:30PM | 7:30PM
Seating is extremely limited. Reserve your seat now.
Noon Year’s Eve
As with everything else during the pandemic, New Years’ Eve will be unlike years past. Happily, McWane is offering a safer way to celebrate that infamous countdown to midnight—and it’s perfect for families with littles.
On December 31, McWane will be celebrating the New Year a few hours early with their Noon Year’s Eve event. Join them on this special day as they count down to NOON (12PM) with epic science demonstrations designed for all ages.
- When: Thursday, December 31
- Price: Included with general admission
- Tickets here
Stay up-to-date on all the festive things taking place at McWane Science Center this holiday season. Visit their website and follow them on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.