Spooky events at McWane Science Center will fill your fall with Halloween-inspired scientific fun. Learn all about the ghoulish adventures taking place October 24-31, plus more tricks they have hiding in their candy buckets this year.
A scavenger hunt is just one of the spooky events at McWane this fall
The spirit of Halloween is alive at McWane. That’s why they’re pulling out all the spooky stops this season. Have no fear—everything is totally family-friendly.
McWane will be celebrating Halloween October 24-31 with all sorts of awesome and creepy fun. Eep!
October 30 and 31 bring even more eerie entertainment to McWane with a Halloween Science Scavenger Hunt. Simply visit McWane during museum hours and you’ll be given all the scientific clues you need to participate.
Be sure to complete the hunt because those who do will receive a special take-home prize and be entered to win more incredible prizes such as a free year-long membership to McWane.
A New Virtual Initiative for Preschoolers at McWane
Preschoolers and caregivers alike love Itty Bitty Magic City. It offers so much for McWane’s smallest guests to see, do and imagine. Now, with help from a $25,000 grant from the PNC Foundation, McWane is launching a brand-new virtual science initiative that features engaging, hands-on digital programming. Through live video and social media, families have access to:
- Teacher training tools
- Parent/child workshops
- Science activities
- Virtual field trips featuring Itty Bitty Magic City
- And more!
The best part—you can enjoy all of it from the comfort of your own home. More info coming soon.
The excitement and discovery continue at McWane with the unveiling of the all-new John W. Woods IMAX Dome Theater. Why is this so cool? One word—lasers!
This will be the very first dome theater in the southeast to present the spectacular IMAX with laser technology.
Here’s what makes this technology so stellar:
- It provides audiences with the sharpest, brightest, clearest and most vivid digital images imaginable.
- It features a whole new level of immersive audio via state-of-the-art sound technology that delivers power and precision.
- It includes six laser-aligned loudspeakers to distribute equal volume throughout the theatre for an optimum listening environment.
- It allows McWane Science Center to deliver a wider array of digital content, including documentaries and blockbuster films.
Stay tuned for when this mind-blowing theatre opens.
The Virtual Reality Experience
Nothing’s more otherworldly than Halloween—except a virtual reality experience that is. When you visit McWane, you’ll be blown away by their Virtual Reality experience.
Using state-of-the-art VR technology with a precision-controlled dynamic motion platform, you’ll be swept away on an incredible journey. Explore galaxies, take a deep dive into prehistoric oceans or get the ultimate rush with a high-speed space trip on a cosmic coaster.
The Virtual Reality experience at McWane is also perfect for teens, adults and gamers.
Guests are provided disposable face covers to wear under VR headsets and there’s a detailed disinfecting protocol in place.
The new Virtual Reality exhibit has been updated and redesigned to comply with the museum’s public health and safety measures. Guests are provided disposable face covers to wear under VR headsets and there is a detailed disinfecting protocol in place. More on guest health and safety.
Safety is top priority at McWane Science Center
McWane’s top priority is the safety and well-being of their guests. Here are some of the protocols in place:
- All guests ages 7 and older are required to wear masks. Masks are strongly encouraged for children ages 3-6.
- Social distancing is in effect throughout the facility. Individuals/groups are to stay at least six feet apart from others.
- More frequent cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched areas like elevator buttons, door handles, flush valves in restrooms, exhibits and handrails. Plus additional hand sanitizing opportunities throughout the museum.
- Regular antibacterial fogging of Itty Bitty Magic City, Rushton Theater, IMAX Theater and classroom spaces.
- Special stickers are installed in public restrooms to remind people to be diligent about hand washing.
For more health and safety protocols, click here.
Plan your visit to McWane Science Center this fall
Can’t wait to go plan your visit now? Check out McWane Science Center Wednesdays-Fridays from 9AM-5PM, Saturdays from 10AM-5PM and Sundays from Noon-5PM. Buy your tickets in advance or at the door.
For the latest scoop on new exhibits, the IMAX with Laser movie schedule, fun science projects and more, follow McWane Science Center on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.