There’s never a bad time to welcome a new furever friend into your home. Local humane societies are working around-the-clock to make sure their animals are cared for as they wait to be adopted. Here’s how you can provide a home to an animal in need today—and get a new best friend in the process.
First Things First—Show Your Support!
Local nonprofits need our support more than ever, Birmingham. If you’re an animal lover and you want to support the incredible organizations that promote local animal welfare, check out this article.
If you’re involved with a local nonprofit and want to be featured on our site and in guides like this for free, just fill out this form. Want to expand your support? Check out our database to find over 100 local nonprofits that need our help.
Adopt with GBHS
- Address: 300 Snow Dr, Birmingham
- Phone: (205) 942-1211
- DONATE HERE
Greater Birmingham Humane Society is currently doing adoption by appointment before their reopening on May 22. Here’s how the process works:
- Head over to their website.
- Check out the list of adoptable pets.
- Fill out an adoption application.
- Schedule an appointment through this link.
- Go meet your new fur baby and make sure it’s a perfect match.
GBHS will be reopening at 50% occupancy on May 22 with security protocols in place.
Adopt with Shelby Humane
- Address: 381 McDow Rd, Columbiana
- Phone: (205) 669-3916
- DONATE HERE
Shelby Humane is currently open by appointment only. Here’s how the process works:
- Decide what type of animal you’re most interested in and get to searching!
- Find adoptable cats here.
- Find adoptable dogs here.
- Once you find your perfect match, fill out the form on this page.
- After you submit your form, you’ll set up an appointment to meet your requested animal in person.
*Standard adoption fees may be subject to change.
- Animals six months and under: $100
- Animals older than six months: $50
- Rabbits: $25
- Ferrets: $50
- Rats, Guinea Pigs & Hamsters: $10 for one or $15 for a pair
- Dogs over the age of 6 months: $85
- Dogs under 6 months: $120
- Cats over the age of 6 months: $35
- Cats under 6 months: $60