Do you know someone making a difference in the Birmingham metro area? Nominations are now open for The Vulcans Community Awards 2020. The Vulcans are the most prestigious recognition of civic pride, leadership and progress in the seven-county Birmingham region. Read on to get all the details.
Since 2014, Vulcan Park and Museum has celebrated community servants whose work has made a great impact on the greater Birmingham area. This annual celebration recognizes citizens who exemplify civic pride, leadership and progress just as Vulcan has symbolized for 116 years.
Nominations are now open to the general public. Here’s a quick overview of what you need to know:
- The deadline for nominations is September 30, 2020.
- Nominations are now open and accepted online.
- The nominator does not have to be a resident of the seven-county area.
The 2020 Awards Revamped
In past years, 13 honorees are celebrated at an awards dinner. This year’s formal event has been cancelled due to COVID-19, but Vulcan Park and Museum has launched a brilliant new way to honor their award winners.
Vulcan Park & Museum will recognize all award recipients in an exhibit inside the Linn-Henley Gallery. This exhibit will showcase the multiple stories of people who have triumphed over adversity and risen to the occasion during these perilous times.
They’ll also be sharing stories weekly via social media leading up the exhibit opening in February 2021.
“Knowing that this community has the courage, persistence and strength to create a history of innovation and change for the greater good, we ask all of you to help Vulcan Park and Museum transform The Vulcans Community Awards from an annual banquet celebration into a year of sharing the stories and honoring the selfless individuals in our midst.”Angela Wier, Director of Development at Vulcan Park Foundation
Here’s Who is Eligible
The Vulcans seek to recognize residents of the seven counties included in the Birmingham Metropolitan area: Bibb, Blount, Chilton, Jefferson, St. Clair, Shelby and Walker.
Here’s an outline of the eligibility requirements:
- There is no time limitation or expiration on activities considered for a Vulcan Award
- A current or former resident in the seven-county Birmingham metro area during the time the award was earned
- Actions for which nominees are considered may have taken place outside of the seven-county metro area, although it must be extraordinary
- No minimum age for eligibility
- Nominee must be of good character
- Nominee must be considered a source of pride within the Birmingham region
- Multiple nominations may be submitted for one nominee
Over its six-year history, The Vulcans have celebrated over 65 ordinary citizens doing extraordinary things—people who were not seeking recognition and who were living the values attributed to Vulcan, the Roman mythical figure.
The Vulcans honors citizens who exemplify civic pride, leadership and progress in four award categories:
Lifetime Achievement Award
Given in recognition of a lifetime “body of work” demonstrating a Vulcan-like contribution to the betterment of the region, in public, private or charitable activities.
*Committee may award this posthumously
Given in recognition of heroic acts that have demonstrated selflessness in the face of perceived insurmountable odds and has made a significant difference in the lives of others.
Servant Leadership Award
Given in recognition of selfless service to others in the Birmingham region.
*Not limited to individuals in faith-based and not-for-profit organizations, but for anyone who, like Vulcan, has stood for the community by serving others.
Game Changer Award
Given in recognition of leadership in innovative project/projects that have made or is/are likely to positively impact the region.
How to Nominate
Know someone who fits these qualifications? Nominate them today! Here’s how:
- Follow this link.
- Fill out your basic info.
- Select the award for which you’re nominating.
- Answer a few questions about the nominee, including a list of their activites and accomplishments, their impact on the community, etc.
- Submit your nomination before the deadline on September 30.