If you’ve found yourself in a food rut, we’ve got a few suggestions to shake things up. The restaurant biz is poppin’ around Birmingham—including a new Jamaican food truck that opened this month.
Tap’a Top Jamaican food truck
Isn’t food truck news always something to get excited about? If you hadn’t heard, Tap’a Top opened this month and by the looks of it the public is giving customers are giving their stamp of approval.
The menu features authentic Jamaican food such as jerk chicken, oxtails and fried plantains (my personal fave). Bonus, they also do catering and delivery—just give them a call!
1. Jake’s Soul Food Cafe
- Where: 3075 John Hawkins Pkwy, Hoover, AL 35244
- Hours: Tues.-Thurs. 11AM-9PM | Fri.-Sat. 11AM-10PM | Sun. 11AM-6PM
- Call | Menu| Facebook | Instagram
2. Tropical Grill Jamaican Restaurant
- Where: 2149 Bessemer Rd. Birmingham, Alabama
- Hours: Mon.-Thurs. 12AM-8PM | Fri. + Sat. 11AM-9PM
- Call | Facebook
3. T-Bone’s Authentic Philly Style Cheesesteaks and Hoagies
OBVIOUSLY, this is NOT a Jamaican restaurant, but they do have a fire Jerk Chicken sandwich and I felt it should be included.
- Where: 1017 20th St S, Birmingham, AL 35205
- Hours: Mon-Thurs 11AM -10PM | Fri+Sat 11-12AM.
- Call | Website | Facebook | Instagram
Honorable mention: Southern Caribbean
Described by one Yelp user as, “a hole in a hole in a wall” alongside a 5-star review, this joint has some RAVE reviews. Unfortunately, after reaching out and calling, I can’t confirm they’re open or still operating. If anyone has any info please give me a shout, because this plate looks amazing and I’d love to try it.
- Where: 1316 Bessemer Rd, Birmingham, AL 35208
- Hours (maybe?): Mon.-Thu. 11AM-10PM | Fri. + Sat. 11AM-11PM | Sun. 11AM-8PM